The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

New to the Group. Veteran Skier

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
Cbkeziah

Hello All! New to the group this year! Getting stoked about the upcoming season.

So stoked in fact that I want to go work on the Mountain during the season.

Has anyone ever done this and is willing to speak about it sometime for a few minutes?
davidski
Expert

Which mountain -- there are lots of people on the board who have or currently do work on the mountains here

Welcome and all
mmmtaters
Advanced

Welcome!
Cbkeziah

I'm most interested in Snowshoe but sugar or is more likely. I want to find out about living quarters on the slopes for employees if there is a such things, pay, etc.

It seems that sugar and snowshoe are having job fairs at the end of october but both on the same day... I've put a call into sugar so far and they do not offer any kind of cheap living expenses and I have to assume the pay isn't great. I don't care as long as my rent is no more than one weeks salary.. I will put a call into snowshoe today and find out some more details.

But any inside info would be appreciated.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

@Cbkeziah 252576 wrote:I'm most interested in Snowshoe but sugar or is more likely. I want to find out about living quarters on the slopes for employees if there is a such things, pay, etc.

It seems that sugar and snowshoe are having job fairs at the end of october but both on the same day... I've put a call into sugar so far and they do not offer any kind of cheap living expenses and I have to assume the pay isn't great. I don't care as long as my rent is no more than one weeks salary.. I will put a call into snowshoe today and find out some more details.

But any inside info would be appreciated.

I'm not sure about Snowshoe, but I doubt Sugar pays anything good. Also, just so you know, housing up here in the Boone/Banner Elk area is pricier than you'd think.
WOOOOOO!

SuperWill
Beginner

Hi cb...great that you want to work for a resort. Its not as hard as you think. Do you know what you want to do...i.e. liftie, instructor, patrol, kitchen, bar tend, etc.

If you can, attend the job fair and talk to the department head. If not, call and talk to someone. Resorts are going to pay minimum wage and up depending on qualifications and experience. Tips are common in some departments.

Housing in Banner Elk can be affordable. Check with real estate agents who rent condos and craigslist. I found a 2bd/2bth condo on Sugar for $600 mo. years ago and was averaging that weekly. There is no employee housing at Sugar, Beech or App. Snowshoe is obviously remote, but I've met a lot of their employees who always seem to be having a good time up there. Either way, you get a pass that lets you ski/ride for free and that's a good thing.