The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Cascade Mountain Resort - Fancy Gap, Virginia

This is the place to discuss lost or closed ski areas once located in Virginia
adm1n
Intermediate

Cascade Mountain Resort was located near Fancy Gap, Virginia in Carroll County just off the Blue Ridge Park way and US-52. Boasting 258 vertical feet of terrain, the Resort had three runs. The outside run was 3000 feet long, the inside run was 2500 feet long and an advanced run offered 2250 feet of terrain.

At the top of the slopes you would find and lodge. Another lodge could be found at the base, as well as tickets, a ski school, snack bar, and patrol. Although it had the fastest gas operated chairlift in the area, several obstacles got in the way of Cascade Mountain Resort’s success. The resort struggled with warm winters and the use of rental air compressors.

Cascade Mountain Resort is now an exclusive gated community offering mountain home construction and mountain lots.

If you have any information or photos about this ski area, post here or drop us an email at [email protected]. This portion of the messageboard was implemented so that those who have skied or played at any of the closed ski areas can share their experiences and discuss "old times". Understand that the content shared may not be 100% accurate.
adm1n
Intermediate

One reader emailed, "A lady now owns the old ski lodge at Cascade, which was converted into a single family home. One side has a "patio" which was the lift area. Cascade is now a gated community with tennis courts, pool, and many beautiful mountain homes."
pagamony
Advanced

My first ski area - I went with my Dad on Friday nights and it was lots of fun. There was also a rope tow beginner slope at the bottom where the rentals were located. The chairlift would bash your legs hard if you weren't watching. Most of the crowd was from Greensboro and Winston Salem. However, it never really looked like a going enterprise, and the little resort never looked like it would have 'beautiful mountain homes.' We had a lot of good times there.
kcarroll417
Beginner

Went to Cascade several times growing up. I suppose the last time I was there was in the early 80's. Wish we had a place closer to the triad now.
2oldboarders
Beginner
Tagline: Certified Snow Junkie

pagamony wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm My first ski area - I went with my Dad on Friday nights and it was lots of fun. There was also a rope tow beginner slope at the bottom where the rentals were located. The chairlift would bash your legs hard if you weren't watching. Most of the crowd was from Greensboro and Winston Salem. However, it never really looked like a going enterprise, and the little resort never looked like it would have 'beautiful mountain homes.' We had a lot of good times there.
Is that a Ski Loveland logo I see! I taught snowboarding there! I always wanted to try Cascade but never got there. Massanutten (or "massive nothing" as we called it!) was my "home" ski area in my youth. I am jealous of you getting to ski with your Dad. My Dad was uncoordinated, didn't do any sports and had coke bottle glasses from an early age. He never saw what I did in skiing. One year (1981) he went to a sales seminar with the phone company (he was a marketing weenie!) at Wintergreen Ski Resort and after the seminar, he was at the bar with some young guys and they poured some liquid courage in him and then "sold" him on trying skiing. They shot down every objection before he agreed to try it. He came home from that and he was a changed man! He told me what happened and then he said something that almost made me think they had replaced my Dad with an alien. He said next year when they have the conference at Wintergreen again, you're going to cut school (this was what made me think the above!) and your going to teach your Mother to ski during the day and then your going to teach me to ski at night when I get out of my seminar and then we are going to ski as a family. You couldn't have stuned me any more if you had hit me between the eyes with a 2 x 4. Unfortunately the following year, before they held the conference, he died of a mysterious illness and I never had the chance. Cherish those Friday nights with your Dad for me. I would give anything to have had one day on the snow with him. It's why I love to teach skiing and snowboarding.