The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hawksnest Ski Resort - Seven Devils, Boone, North Carolina

Discuss Lost or Closed NC Ski Areas here
OEC4
Intermediate

I hope they got/get the lifts inspected this year. Otherwise, It is gone for good.
bamapilot
Expert

I was hoping for some major announcement when I saw there was a new post in this thread.
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

@bamapilot 248599 wrote:I was hoping for some major announcement when I saw there was a new post in this thread.

Same here. I got excited. I never got a chance to ski the place
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

@Tmiller72 236600 wrote: The town really wants the golf course opened up...

Ain't gonna happen. The Town went as far as investigating taking the land via imminent domain and rebuilding the course with grants, taxes etc. They hired a golf course management consultant who promptly charged them a butt load of money and told them the obvious which is the course was garbage design; it is completely wasted after laying fallow for a few years and it would take way more money to manage then they would ever be able to make in greens fees. From what I read the Cottoms are making good money from the tubing and see no reason to continue pounding their heads against the walls of town hall for skiing.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
bamapilot
Expert

Maybe with a change of leadership one day at city hall, the leaders will approach the Cottom's about reopening the ski area.n
skipink
Expert

By then it will be too late. Maintenance on the lifts alone would be prohibitive.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
OEC4
Intermediate

I don't think the town would cause trouble anytime soon. The property values are way down, winter rentals are way down. They have been without golf for 6 years. The house I used to rent was empty last winter. People don't rent a house for a tubing vacation. I would rent from November until April. The owners lived in Fla. during the winter.

The town and property owners would probably kill to have the slopes opened again.

However, tubing is a cash cow and it is not real expensive to keep tube runs covered with snow. A ton of money would need to be spent at this point to bring back the dirty bird.
bamapilot
Expert

The town only has itself to blame. When Hawks was looking into expanding and putting money back into the resort the town shut them down. Now the town needs them and it's a little late to want anything out of Hawks. The Nest could be the best place in the High Country if they had been giving the chance.

Glad I hit the place before it closed.
skipanther
Advanced

That town wins the award for worst way to run a town!
NCSkiFanatic15
Advanced

Only got out to Hawksnest once, had a pretty good time there. RIP.