The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
webdevmonkey
Beginner

Since I'm a newb, I have to try hard not to look like one. But I need some reasons why certain actions are gaper-like.

Why is it that making your poles and skis into a carry-all considered stupid? You know, when you use the straps from your poles to hold your skis horizontally?

I saw on another site that walking from your car to the lift with your ski boots on is gaper-ness. Why? What if I don't want to rent a locker and I just want to walk straight to the lifts?

All of the other gaper actions I understand, but these two I don't.

It seems like there is some ellite ski-clique commitee that makes these up. I just need some logic.
eastcoasterlm
Beginner

webdevmonkey wrote:
I saw on another site that walking from your car to the lift with your ski boots on is gaper-ness. Why?

I'm not a skier so I could be wrong, but I'd assume walking in the lot without any snow on it would damage the bottom of your boots over time. :?:
g8erhater
Advanced

eastcoasterlm wrote:

webdevmonkey wrote:
I saw on another site that walking from your car to the lift with your ski boots on is gaper-ness. Why?

I'm not a skier so I could be wrong, but I'd assume walking in the lot without any snow on it would damage the bottom of your boots over time. :?:

It would take a heck a lot of walking on concrete to damage ski boots.
afrobigfoot
Expert

I put my boots on at the car, Im not taking my shoes in there and hasseling with just another thing to carry. Simple as that, I dont care if its considered wrong or not. Im not wasting time or money.
skiing rules
Expert

i have never heard the car ski booth thing, and i diont care. i really could care less if someone calles me a gaper for walking in ski boots
vapor
Beginner

I'm still waiting on the answer to the carry-all part.I've been guilty of that for many years.
mondaylady
Beginner

vapor wrote:
I'm still waiting on the answer to the carry-all part.I've been guilty of that for many years.

Does it really matter? You'll feel a lot better when you don't care what other people (especially those you don't know) think.

As long as it doesn't damage your equipment, do it however you feel comfortable and ENJOY YOURSELF!!

What I like to do when possible is

1. Leave my gear in the car (or room) and go up to buy my lift ticket.

2. Then I go back to my car and put my boots on and stick my stuff under the privacy screen of my Blazer. I do carry my boots because it hurts my feet to walk long distances in them.

3. I stick my sneaks in one of those 50-cent lockers, along with my boot bone and ski straps. Or when I'm at App, I put my sneaks and stuff in the highest shoe cubbyhole, and thankfully I have yet to have a problem. Of course all my stuff is old and beat-up, so nobody wants it.
afrobigfoot
Expert

mondaylady wrote:

vapor wrote:

Does it really matter? You'll feel a lot better when you don't care what other people (especially those you don't know) think.

As long as it doesn't damage your equipment, do it however you feel comfortable and ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Of course all my stuff is old and beat-up, so nobody wants it.

You probably said it better than any of us.
admin

i agree with everybody so far....except m'day lady....... :oops: i don't use a privacy screen. scarey thought, but true. you do see alot of people who look pretty clueless carring their gear in an all-in-one set up......but, i don't really think much of it, past laughing as they are fumble while trying to walk in boots and carry their gear [usually newbs returning their rentals]. but I have to admit, there have been times when i've had a really long and tiring day, and i was in a high altitude, and just didn't have the energy to fling my equipment over my shoulder, so i did the same thing. It's not a big deal. There are going to be people who think they are superior to you (and me), simply because of who they are [NOBODY ON THIS SITE....but you know the types i am talking about]....and they are probably the people who have a problem with walking to the slopes in your boots and strapping your poles to your skis. do what works for you.
mondaylady
Beginner

Hey, no sweat, muffinhead. But I hide and secure everything when possible, just having grown up in the big city most of my life. As for using the top cubbyhole, being 6' tall does have some advantages.

Yes, people might chuckle and stare at you, but WHO GIVES A RAT'S REAREND?? I spent too much of my life trying to impress people who quite frankly weren't worth the effort. Besides, would you look any sillier than the guy picking his nose or scratching his butt with his ski pole? (BTW, I saw something like that at Crystal many years ago)

Heck, if you want to tie your stuff together with an old gym sock, that's your business. Just make sure you wash it first, so you don't gas out everybody else in line (Though some people it might be a showdown!!)