The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

How does Massanutten compare to Sugar Mountain?

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
Skanah
Tagline: Metal, whiskey, mountains

Hello all. I've been to Sugar Mountain in NC and Winterplace in WV but only for very short trips (and usually busy weekends), never long enough to actually get a feel for anything mostly just eat snow for a weekend and ride back sore. Finally have a chance to go for longer trip and a chance to mooch off a wealthier family members time share which has open days in February at Massanutten. I'm mostly wondering how Massanutten compares to Sugar Mountain in size and crowds. Honestly crowds is the biggest factor for me, last time I went I got maybe 4 full runs because the lines at Sugar were so incredibly long. Trip would probably be mid February but exact dates are not set yet.

Thanks in advance
Lazy dog tax
marzski
Advanced

Well, how much do you want to know about Massanutten? I can go on about it for quite a while. I live in the Triangle near Raleigh, but decided over a dozen years ago to make Mnut my home mountain. That was after checking out Sugar, Beech, Winterplace, Snowshoe, and Wintergreen. Note that Mnut is a 4 hour drive from my house versus just under 3 hours to Banner Elk. I married a man decades ago who was a timeshare owner. We have owned at Mnut since my daughter was three. I started her at the Mnut ski school when she was 4. She's in college at UNC Asheville now. She became an advanced skier by age 11 based on Mnut ski school and trips to Alta during spring break starting at age 7.

Mnut is one of the largest timeshare resorts in the country. There is plenty to do besides ski if a group isn't all skiers/boarders. As for the slopes, for people who can ski off the lift to the top there is never a lift line, even on holiday weekends. There are only two black trails off that lift. Not any harder than the blacks at Sugar but somewhat longer. The Mid-Mountain Grill is open 11am-4pm so it's possible to stay on the upper mountain all day and completely avoid a lifeline at the base. Assuming you start before soon after lifts open at 9am.

The newly renamed Ridge Triple (used to be Lift 5) has a mid-station. It's a great lift for a mixed ability group of advanced beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers. MakAttack is rarely groomed and can grow pretty big bumps by late January.

Sugar has 125 acres and 1200 ft vert. Massanutten has 72 acres and 1100 ft vert. There is about 800 ft vert for the black trails from the summit.

I'll be at Mnut with friends over the MLK weekend, per usual. They are going again over Pres. Day weekend as well. The 12yo learned to ski there starting at age 8. She started skiing from the top last season.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
johnmelton
Beginner

I would add that Massanutten also has a great waterpark at the resort which is awesome when the weather is not cooperating. As for lift lines at Sugar, it all depends on timing, non holiday and weekdays can be downright lonely. Also if you haven't been there recently, they have replaced three lifts with higher capacity versions and added one.
Skanah

johnmelton wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:44 am As for lift lines at Sugar, it all depends on timing, non holiday and weekdays can be downright lonely. Also if you haven't been there recently, they have replaced three lifts with higher capacity versions and added one.
I havent been in at least 2 or 3 years now, we usually go with a group of friends so Ive never been on a non holiday. Last time we went just happened to be the day after a snow storm and that brought out a lot of people it was crazy there. This trip will definitely be mid week.
Skanah

marzski wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:17 pm Well, how much do you want to know about Massanutten? I can go on about it for quite a while. I live in the Triangle near Raleigh, but decided over a dozen years ago to make Mnut my home mountain.
I live like 30 minutes from Raleigh on the south side so those drives are pretty comparable for me. That was a lot of good information I appreciate it. The parks seem pretty comparable for riding. I know 100% I'm not ready for those top trails but maybe by the end of the week I will be.
marzski
Advanced

Skanah wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:50 am
marzski wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:17 pm Well, how much do you want to know about Massanutten? I can go on about it for quite a while. I live in the Triangle near Raleigh, but decided over a dozen years ago to make Mnut my home mountain.
I live like 30 minutes from Raleigh on the south side so those drives are pretty comparable for me. That was a lot of good information I appreciate it. The parks seem pretty comparable for riding. I know 100% I'm not ready for those top trails but maybe by the end of the week I will be.
From Raleigh, the way to drive to Massanutten is to go via Hillsborough, Danville, and Lynchburg. Start with NC87 to US29. With the bypasses around Danville and Lynchburg, traffic is never an issue even during a rush hour. After Lovingston, take RT6 to RT151 to US250. I usually take I-64 west to I-81 but US340 works too. From I-81, if you don't have a reason to stop by Harrisonburg, then get off at Exit 235 for Weyers Cave. Turn right off I-81, then left onto Keezletown Road. That takes you to US33.

If you like terrain park features, Mnut usually has easier features on the lower mountain and bigger ones on Mass Transit. Have to be able to handle Upper Showtime from the top of the triple to get to Mass Transit.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.