The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

New guy (and gal)

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
dwhicks10
Beginner
Tagline: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way … turn."

David here.

My wife Ginger and I have been re-introduced to the obsession of skiing by safeTmanEd. I say re-introduced, however my few experiences with skiing were about a million years ago when I was "that guy" sliding down the slopes on my face in my...dare i say it...jeans.

Thanks to Ed, (thanks Ed) and about 8 trips last season, my wife and I can say we are both much better skiers, and we no longer wear jean!

We began this 2015/16 season in August when we (I) began incrementally buying our own gear in preparation for what I'm hoping is this weeks openings/re-openings.

We look forward to seeing you all on the slopes!

Oh, by the way, did I mentioned I'm obsessed?! :shock:
David Hicks
Graphic Designer
safeTmanEd
Beginner

I can tell you all that this guy IS obsessed! And I would never be caught skiing with someone wearing jeans!

Welcome to the board David and Ginger!
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Welcome and glad you got rid of the jeans. Those usually end up as photos of COLD newbies on here.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
davidski
Expert

Yes another David, we will take over the world eventually --

Hey welcome to the board. I gotta say that while I gave up skiing in jeans and flannel along time ago they had the advantage of slowing you some if you fall on steep terrain.

Where are you going to go first this year?

---- and congrats on buying your own gear it makes a world of difference
marzski
Advanced

dwhicks10 wrote:David here.

My wife Ginger and I have been re-introduced to the obsession of skiing by safeTmanEd. I say re-introduced, however my few experiences with skiing were about a million years ago when I was "that guy" sliding down the slopes on my face in my...dare i say it...jeans.

Thanks to Ed, (thanks Ed) and about 8 trips last season, my wife and I can say we are both much better skiers, and we no longer wear jean!

We began this 2015/16 season in August when we (I) began incrementally buying our own gear in preparation for what I'm hoping is this weeks openings/re-openings.

We look forward to seeing you all on the slopes!

Oh, by the way, did I mentioned I'm obsessed?! :shock:
Welcome to the snowy side? Where are you likely to ski first this winter?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
dwhicks10
Beginner
Tagline: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way … turn."

Sorry for the late reply! We actually got a day or two of skiing in already this season. We spent Thanksgiving day at Appalachian, then "attempted" to make a day of it at Beech the next day. App was great with a ton of snow (their snowmaking capabilities are insane), but Beech was not quite as enjoyable, with holes, thin spots, and mud; not their fault since the temps got up to about 60 degrees and snowmaking weather being so limited.

We did make it out to Cattaloochee for the Coat and Can drive as well. We were surprised by how well their base was holding up with the poor weather conditions. Cat had Rock Island Run open which we didn't expect, so it was worth the drive over from Knoxville, especially for the price of a couple nice winter coats we don't use any longer, and some can goods that had been hanging out in the pantry.

It was great to get on the snow and get our ski legs back under us, but the dry spells have been painful! I almost wish we would have waited, because we were bitten by the "ski bug" early and have since had to wait, wonder, and brood over this horrific early season!

I'm attaching a few photos (none of Cat, sorry) so at least we can SEE skiing during this "lovely tropical weather." :|

Think Snow...
SAC-20151204-140544.jpg
SAC-20151127-133920.jpg
20151126_131927.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Hicks
Graphic Designer
safeTmanEd
Beginner

We will forgive the rookie mistake! Trip reports should be loaded to the .....well, ..... trip report page!

Great report though!!
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein