The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

New to Board

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
QC_Pirate
Beginner

Greetings to all!

Pumped for the winter and ready to get on a mountain! Grew up skiing often and for some reason went 10 years without hitting the slopes.... Made a last second run up to Snowshoe last year in March and needless to say, I haven't stopped thinking about getting back since we left.

Heading to Snowshoe in a week, and hope to make a couple more trips over the next couple months. Anybody have experience with the other locations in WV? (besides winterplace which I have been to). Are they worth the drive? Weighing options of a couple more drivable trips for the winter or just one out to Colorado or Utah.
marzski
Advanced

@QC_Pirate 294430 wrote:Greetings to all!

Pumped for the winter and ready to get on a mountain! Grew up skiing often and for some reason went 10 years without hitting the slopes.... Made a last second run up to Snowshoe last year in March and needless to say, I haven't stopped thinking about getting back since we left.

Heading to Snowshoe in a week, and hope to make a couple more trips over the next couple months. Anybody have experience with the other locations in WV? (besides winterplace which I have been to). Are they worth the drive? Weighing options of a couple more drivable trips for the winter or just one out to Colorado or Utah.

Where are you driving from? There will be a group gathering at Timberline/CV the last weekend of Feb if you want to get an introduction from locals.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
QC_Pirate
Beginner

Driving from Charlotte. Looks like they are about an hour further which isn't too bad. The questions would be how does their skiing experience compare to snowshoe? Good/ample lodging and nightlife options? Does the extra drive time add additional travel concerns? I don't have 4 wheel drive and any trip up the mountains with potential bad weather is always a white knuckler for me :)
marzski
Advanced

All depends on what you think is worth the extra drive. If it's nightlife, then Tline/CV is probably not worth the extra miles.

Here's a Trip Report that has a few pics of both places:

http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/showt ... hp?t=15793
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
davidski
Expert

@QC_Pirate 294440 wrote:Driving from Charlotte. Looks like they are about an hour further which isn't too bad. The questions would be how does their skiing experience compare to snowshoe? Good/ample lodging and nightlife options? Does the extra drive time add additional travel concerns? I don't have 4 wheel drive and any trip up the mountains with potential bad weather is always a white knuckler for me :)

anytime you are dealing with a white kinuckler means you are heading to an adventure, I love that--and even though the canaan valley may not be extreme it definately gets your heart ponding in a storm or in the trees-- I love CV and WG and TL although I don't pretend to be a regular at any of those great places -- and the scary drive on a high weather day up to wisp

Snowshoe is also ok, and can get spectacular shots of snow.... there's a bar there I love going too as well ... It's honestly all so good if you plan around conditions, which I know is hard

There are so many great experiences recorded, just do a search

Oh yeah and when is the summit?
davidski
Expert

By the way, my avatar is from Canaan Valley Resort, maybe 5-6 years ago, but still one of the greatest runs of my life
SKISC
Expert

Oh hell. Another pirate.
skipink
Expert

Maybe he knows how to talk like a pirate. Wasn't it the Gnar who was always doing that? Wonder where that Floridiot is now.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
QC_Pirate
Beginner

Thanks for all the input folks! Timberline & Canaan may be in the cards this winter. Indeed a proud Pirate here, Servire!
SKISC
Expert

@skipink 294639 wrote:Maybe he knows how to talk like a pirate. Wasn't it the Gnar who was always doing that? Wonder where that Floridiot is now.

He might have but we had that dude from north GA that got carried away with it.