The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Mississippi Skiier

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
msubryan
Beginner

New to site...looking for info on best ski areas in North Carolina/Tennessee.

Considering Boone/Banner Elk/Ober Gatlinberg/Maggie Valley.

Whats best?
davidski
Expert

Welcome ..... Your question depends on a lot of variables but overall I think the best skiing in NC is at Beech and Sugar -- preferences between the two differ strongly here but I think Sugar has the lead in it's terrain and Beech in every other aspect.

Are you single or with family, experienced or brand new, living in florida or SC, all that makes a difference; e.g. if you live in SC move immediately before you do anything else
msubryan
Beginner

I have a family that usually goes to Colorado (Winter Park/Telluride) each year. This year, we don't want to make the drive from Mississippi, so we are considering NC. Plans would be to spend 3-5 days in 3-4 different mountains, if possible.

I am not expecting NC to have CO type conditions or resorts, i just want to make the best choice from available options.

Any feedback is welcome!
teledave
Expert

My advice would be to go to CO again.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
msubryan
Beginner

@teledave 294316 wrote:My advice would be to go to CO again.

Gladly, your treat?
davidski
Expert

Skiing in NC first time? I wasn't clear. If so it may be a disappointment but I say ski what you've got, who knows if you get another chance

I have heard that Teledave may be doing a contest where one hundred and three winners might get a day pass somewhere
teledave
Expert

@davidski 294492 wrote:I have heard that Teledave may be doing a contest where one hundred and three winners might get a day pass somewhere

Why yes I am, 103 day passes to TD's Seymour Slopes Inc. No BYOB, will have $12 two-fours for sale on premises. (And armed police forces to enforce the BYOB restrictions. BTW, there's a 4 drink minimum; also enforced by said police force.)

:D
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
FleurDeSki
Beginner

@teledave 294316 wrote:My advice would be to go to CO again.

This.

I wouldn't drive from MS specifically to ski NC. And I'm originally from MS.
FlyboyTR
Beginner

I live in Mobile; not sure what part of MS you are in. We usually make at least 1 Sugar trip each season. Sugar is the largest and can be a good place to ski when the conditions are right. Beech is much better with their customer service, but I find it too small.

When we ski Sugar, we usually leave early Saturday morning, spend the night in Spartanburg, SC. Finish up early on Sunday morning, Ski Twilight (12-9P) and when they close the slops between 4:30 & 6P, we check in, have dinner and then do the night skiing til they close. We'll do a full day and night on Monday and Tuesday and then drive home on Wednesday.

Just check the weather and make sure things are good...if possible. We will be heading there a week from this Saturday, 21st and returning home on Wednesday, Christmas Day.
msubryan
Beginner

Thanks Flyboy, yes, I am 20 minutes from Mobile. we are going to Tennesee for part of the trip anyways, and just want to ski. Sounds like Sugar is the place to go. Will be leaving the day after Christmas.

Thanks for help!