The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Newie needs advice and help

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
stinkyo

Hello

Brand new to this site and I've never skied before. I'm looking at coming to NC to learn how to ski, yes the dreaded bunny slope and lessons.

I need some advice on what and where to go. I'm hoping to this on Dec 13 to Dec 18. Do you have any recommendations on where to go, where will snow be at this time in NC and where to stay and get lessons from.

I'm a total beginner and I'm ready to learn. I know I will need a lot of help and advice. Thanks for helping if you can.

Thanks

StinkyO
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

First off, welcome to the board!

If I were you, I would look at App Ski Mountain. They will most definitely have good snow as they have the best snowmaking system around. Also, their ski school is top notch. As for lodging, there are plenty of places in Blowing Rock to stay and you'll only be 5 minutes from the mountain. Plus, you're still close to Boone if you wanna head into town.
WOOOOOO!

OhDrinkBoy
Expert

^listen to kendog. app is a great place to learn. it's a small mountain, but their snowmaking is the best.
Tman
Beginner

If there's plenty of snow, I would recommend Cataloochee. They have lot longer runs than Appalachian so it's a great place to learn and progress. Appalachian has great snow making though so I can see them being bullet-proof solution.
stinkyo

thanks for the help. I'm looking into those suggestions. I really want this to be a fun trip. I want to learn something new and I want to start a tradition with my granddaughter. If we like this, this could be something we could both do every year together.

StinkyO
SKISC
Expert

Homestead Inn in Blowing Rock is a pretty good place to stay. Rates are good too.
marzski
Advanced

@stinkyo 252234 wrote:thanks for the help. I'm looking into those suggestions. I really want this to be a fun trip. I want to learn something new and I want to start a tradition with my granddaughter. If we like this, this could be something we could both do every year together.

StinkyO

How old is your granddaughter? Has she seen snow before?
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Mspugbat
Beginner

Make sure you and your granddaughter dress appropriately. A lot of people have bad skiing experiences because they did not dress for skiing and became uncomfortable. Lessons are a good idea. Instructors can help you progress and catch on faster than on your own.

You will want water proof snow pants and jacket. Skiing in warmer climates is wetter. If you become wet, you will get cold. I would buy a water proof shell type jacket and layer accordingly. Make sure you get good gloves. Since you will be falling, you will have more contact with the ground. Make sure they are water proof and not just water resistant.

Buy base layers made with polyester, wool, or silk. Don't wear cotton. Cotton can make you colder since it will keep moisture like sweat on you as it's an absorbent fabric. They sell base layers at walmart. You don't have to buy the fancy stuff made for skiing. Most of mine are the thin white ones made by Warm Essentials and Cuddle Duds.

If you buy a water proof shell jacket or already have one, wear fleece or sweaters over your base layers. You can wear as many layers as you want. Layers are great because if you become to warm, you can take one off.

Water proofing sprays are effective and you can spray it on something you already own. Do this al least 24 hours before the ski day.

You should at least wear sunglasses. The snow reflects a lot of light and you can damage your eyes if you don't wear any sun protection. Goggles work the best because they will stay on your head and also protect your eyes from wind.

Buy socks made from wool for the same reason you would wear non cotton base layers. Wool acrylic blends are good too. In walmart's hunting section they often have these types of socks. Once again I don't think you really need special ski specific socks. It's not a good idea to double your socks. This can make your feet sweat and your feet cold.

Wear sunscreen on your face. Snow reflects a lot of light and you may get burned pretty bad with out it. You will also want a face mask in case there is a chill in the air. I like the thin ones with a shell and a soft interior. The better face masks have holes or a mesh net for your nose and mouth.

Good luck!
davidski
Expert

wear a helmet
jamsandwich
Expert

The Green Park Inn in Blowing Rock is a great place to stay to start your tradition. They have ski and stay packages that get you deals at Appalachian Ski Mountain.