The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

A little about myself

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
SkiBear

HI guys. I'm Dracan6's better half. I met a few of you at last weekends summit meeting. I really enjoyed talking with you and am looking forward to up coming events. I can't say I'm really good at skiing, but I'm working on it. I started skiing 3 years ago, but my schedule as a pharmacist limits my ski trips. If anyone knows of a good place to get intermediate lessons please let me know.
Tman
Beginner

Hello! I don't know too much about skiing, but I believe Appalachian Mountain has members of French Swiss Ski College teaching the classes. Might be worth a look. I'm sure the members will chime in on the info :D
scuba skier
Intermediate

I'm partial because I work there, but Cat has some really good instructors. I have had advanced lessons from Jim Peterson and a lady named Kathy. They are both excellent teachers.
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Welcome!
marzski
Advanced

@SkiBear 237202 wrote:HI guys. I'm Dracan6's better half. I met a few of you at last weekends summit meeting. I really enjoyed talking with you and am looking forward to up coming events. I can't say I'm really good at skiing, but I'm working on it. I started skiing 3 years ago, but my schedule as a pharmacist limits my ski trips. If anyone knows of a good place to get intermediate lessons please let me know.

Welcome! I know it's a longer drive, but if you are limited to weekends consider Massanutten until you get more confident. Can do a 90 min clinic for $30 or as a package deal with lift ticket and rental. On a non-holiday weekend, might only have a couple other people in your group. They separate kids from adults and also by ability. My daughter and niece have had several private or semi-private lessons that way when things were less busy or at the 5:30 clinic. I've been happy with all the instructors in the last six seasons.

Both lifts at the bottom of the mountain have conveyor loading now. So one less thing to worry about. Often Mnut is less crowded than the NC areas on weekends.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
CayZ
Beginner

Non-skiing hubby and I will be in Maggie Valley Feb 6 - 13. Thanks for the info about the instructors. Would love to meet up with other intermediate skier(s) to ski with. Anybody up for it?
skipink
Expert

CayZ! Haven't heard from you in a long time!
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
mmmtaters
Advanced

Nice to meet you and welcome!
Walt1943

Posting so U know I am not a spammer.....raised in WV before they had Snowshoe....Live in Greensboro NC since 1981....Started skiing in 1985 and now have my first season pass for App Ski Mtn.....works well for me and my 16 yr old grandson....I ski, he boards...App is a well run family operation that dates back 50 years with the same family...I like Snowshoe unfortuantely for me that is a 5 hr drive....like Utah; Brighton, Solitude, Alta and Snowbird.....that requires a financial commitment to lodge downtown, rent a car and ski 5 days.....and when it can be done....it is worth every dollar.
CayZ
Beginner

Hey, skipink!

Coming to the Cat next week. Let me know if you can meet us there anytime!