The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Abandonded trails at Ober Gatlinburg

This is the place to share your stories or knowledge about ski areas that used to operate and are now lost or closed in Tennessee.
skipanther
Advanced

@swamphox 242819 wrote:It'd be like having a library in a trailer park

HAHA!Maybe they would burn all the books in a big bonfire!
teledave
Expert

@time2323 242878 wrote:Im just sayin that it would be another way for them to level the playing field with Cat for attracting people in the Knox area trying to decide where to buy a season pass. Cat's glades, while none-too impressive, have seen a lot of traffic the last 2 seasons.

I personally have a pass to Cat and get about 4-6 free passes to Ober each year, and several times Ive chosen going to Cat even though it's an hour farther, over Ober mainly for the trees.

When Maggie Valley starts attracting youth conventions and other off season stuff like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge does Ober might start worrying. I would bet Ober's paid skier days are 2 times what Cat's are, if not 3 times. And about 96% of those people never get off Cub Way, Castle Run, and Lower Bear.

Yeah, it would be really cool if Ober developed that area, but it would be a huge waste of money from a business perspective.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
time2323
Beginner

From the perspective of lift tickets and beginner sales, yeah youre right. But it actually seems to me like Ober is starting to care more about attracting, or not losing, season pass holders and locals. The new park has been pretty good for a first time set up. It's not just a few features for the sake of listing it on their map, which to me says they are at least somewhat interested in the non-equipment renting crowd.

I think if done right, meaning just a small area off of an already existing trail with only a small change in the snowmaking, the small ticket/pass increase would make it worth it in the long term.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Glades at Ober would be an unwise decision IMO for two reasons. As TD said, Ober is a church bus/tourist magnet. the moment the rope dropped you would have multiple rookies tasting bark. Secondly, Obers low elevation would not be able to sustain any meanigful soft snow for too long. Glades skiing on ice shoots that resemble bob sled runs is nasty business (I've tried it once or twice and vowed never to be so stupid again). Now if you combine the two...oh my.

I always wondered why the old North East style of trail cutting would not work down here. Narrow trails with ample tree canopy left.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
scotus
Intermediate

Here's a picture of Big John that was posted on the Ober website: