The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Renegade Ski Area - Crossville, Tennessee

This is the place to share your stories or knowledge about ski areas that used to operate and are now lost or closed in Tennessee.
adm1n
Intermediate

Renegade ski area was located at the Crab Orchard exit on Interstate 40 in Crossville, Tennessee. Open for nearly a decade from 1969 until 1978, Renegade had a vertical drop of 425 feet. The base elevation of this ski area was 2,700 feet. The terrain at Renegade was accessed using one chairlift, one j-bar, and two rope tows.

Reasons for why this area closed in 1978 aren’t readily known, but it’s safe to say weather trends that weren’t ideal for snow and skiing or perhaps lack of funding may have played a roll in Renegade’s demise.

If you have any information or photos about this ski area, post here or drop us an email at [email protected]. This portion of the messageboard was implemented so that those who have skied or played at any of the closed ski areas can share their experiences and discuss "old times". Understand that the content shared may not be 100% accurate.
ericwberg

In 1967 I heard Dieter, an Austrian ski instructor at Sapphire ski area say that he had a friend instructing in Tennessee close to Nashville (Crossville) so it might have opened earlier(?)
teledave
Expert

Article in yesterday's Knoxville News-Sentinel.

www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/Feb/19/the-r ... de-resort/
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
mommehK
Expert

I basically "lived" in Crossville for parts of every summer from about 1984 - 1991....how did I miss this during that time?

Will have to read further when I have a bit more time -- makes me laugh that, of course, there's a Looney mentioned in the article.
teledave
Expert

A Loonie, eh?

Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
mommehK
Expert

@teledave 271825 wrote:A Looney, eh?

Fixed that for ya'......it's not Cumberland County, TN, without the name Looney in there somewhere. or Atkinson.
MSDOG
Expert

There's almost always some sort of Loony on every thread on this board.
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

@MSDOG 271921 wrote:There's almost always some sort of Loony on every thread on this board.

Huh? For some reason, I felt like I would log on and post after being AWAL for months.....
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

@MSDOG 271921 wrote:There's almost always some sort of Loony on every thread on this board.

For some reason, I felt like I would log on and post after being AWAL for a few months!
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
afrobigfoot
Expert

@Dracan6 275907 wrote:For some reason, I felt like I would log on and post after being AWAL for a few months!

I know the feeling