The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Afton Mountain Ski Area?

This is the place to discuss lost or closed ski areas once located in Virginia
JMM

When I was a kid I recall seeing a ski hill on top of Afton Mountain. This was back in the 70s so my memory is a little fuzzy but I recall sort of a big A-Frame on top of the hill to the left as you were heading West from Charlottesville towards Waynesboro. It was a few hundred yards West than the existing Inn, etc. that's up there now. (I stayed in that old hotel 40+ years ago--I think it was a Howard Johnsons or Holiday Inn that had a heck of a view from their restaurant) I'm guessing there was a small rope tow or maybe a t-bar that extended from this A-frame building up the hill maybe 800 feet or so.

Does anyone else recall that ski hill or any of its history?
swamphox
Expert

Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Lift Blog

I was looking through some old Ski Lifts International lift data and sure enough the Holiday Inn Waynesboro purchased a double chair in 1969. 1,025' x 177'.