The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Never opened slopes in Banner Elk

Discuss Lost or Closed NC Ski Areas here
johnmelton
Beginner

I would love to build slopes on the Northeast side of Hanging Rock, 1500+ vertical drop, of course the ultimate would be the east side of Grandfather or Mitchell, 3000 to 3500 of vertical, or Roan's Grassy Ridge, 2000 ft of intermediate heaven, or the Three Tops area, maybe we need to start a Co-Op!
swamphox
Expert

I remember reading that people did that in the 50's @ Mt.Mitchell. They cut some trails, nowhere near the vertical numbers, but it has been done in the past.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
bfeller
Intermediate

@johnmelton 261150 wrote:I would love to build slopes on the Northeast side of Hanging Rock, 1500+ vertical drop, of course the ultimate would be the east side of Grandfather or Mitchell, 3000 to 3500 of vertical!

Or you could back country it down gap in the Smokey Mountains.... what was the place, Newfound Gap or something....
peanut butter
Beginner

yeah, too bad Mt. Mitchell isn't private property
codyblank
Expert
Tagline: A place where the beer flows like wine.

i always thought it would be a fun ride from clingman's to cherokee. hahaha
Think snowmaking temps.
OEC4
Intermediate

@bfeller 261278 wrote:Or you could back country it down gap in the Smokey Mountains.... what was the place, Newfound Gap or something....

Nothing stopping you except lack of snow. Just don't make me have to come get you when you get lost and broken.
want2go2dasno
Beginner

a guy by the name of Norman Smith had his hands in diamond ridge. it failed because they didn't get property rights to put a road in. we can all "thank" him for cutting all the trees down on beech on freestyle years ago. he was wanting a western bowl feel for skiing here... instead he created a wind bowl.
2oldboarders
Beginner
Tagline: Certified Snow Junkie

MattT wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 am They even had a couple of liftpoles out there in some places. They were all laid on their sides but the trails were cut. It would have been really sick but yes it did have a lot of western exposure. Me and some buddies went out and hiked this after a 2ft storm and it was awesome. Unfortunatley the caretaker called the police and we got tickets for trespassing. When we got to court there were no less than 25 other skiers/snowboarders there and we were all talking about how good it was before we got caught. Ahhh to be young. Good times.....
Had I live in the area, I probably would have been in the courtroom with you!