The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Sheepback Mountain, Maggie Valley

Discuss Lost or Closed NC Ski Areas here
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

... It would be nice to have anything to keep the Floridiots out of the Banner Elk area. Last year was just insane, all those minivans creeping at 1/2 mph for miles... It can take over an hr to get from beech to the liquor store. :eek:
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

@kareena7 248098 wrote:Thanks for the nice thread.

Yes, yes this is a rely nice thread. Thank you.... BUUUUYYY VENAPRO!!!!!
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
brownc
Beginner

I wish cat would open the back side of the slopes on the ranch area.
Droogie
Advanced

I wish all of the mountains down here had bases that were another 1000 feet higher and had 250 feet more vertical. That would really open things up in the SE.

Yeah, that can't happen.
porter
Advanced

The ski area was to be in a draw a few miles upcanyon from Maggie Valley just off the main road, not the road to Cataloochee. It was indeed to be a large area.

I posted artists drawings of this several years ago ...

http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/showt ... =sheepback
swamphox
Expert

@porter 258917 wrote:The ski area was to be in a draw a few miles upcanyon from Maggie Valley just off the main road, not the road to Cataloochee. It was indeed to be a large area.

I posted artists drawings of this several years ago ...

http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/showt ... =sheepback

I looked at the map in the old thread...woulda been cool

any chance you could repost those pics

in the summers when im bored I look for areas in the SE that look like good spots. Anything that could support an area the size of app is fair game...I found another spot near there that seems like it'd make a great area what with road access, NE, NW, and Northern exposures, 2k feet of vertical and all...it would be gigantic by SE standards. Oh and an easy driving road to the base of the mtns...via campbell creek rd. From 6k feet near the summits at the blue ridge pkwy to a sub 4k base. It'd be sick for sure.

Now if I hit one of the lottos Ill sink all my funds into it:)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.476258 ... 6&t=p&z=13

that entire horseshoe shaped are looks like it'd have huge potential.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
wellington

@swamphox 259202 wrote:I looked at the map in the old thread...woulda been cool

any chance you could repost those pics

in the summers when im bored I look for areas in the SE that look like good spots. Anything that could support an area the size of app is fair game...I found another spot near there that seems like it'd make a great area what with road access, NE, NW, and Northern exposures, 2k feet of vertical and all...it would be gigantic by SE standards. Oh and an easy driving road to the base of the mtns...via campbell creek rd. From 6k feet near the summits at the blue ridge pkwy to a sub 4k base. It'd be sick for sure.

Now if I hit one of the lottos Ill sink all my funds into it:)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.476258 ... 6&t=p&z=13

that entire horseshoe shaped are looks like it'd have huge potential.

I was looking at that area on Google Maps the other day, too. It seems to be a great location for a ski resort. Based on what I have heard about Cataloochee, there seems to be a demand for skiing in that area and the area could potentially support another ski resort.

Since it is fun to dream, how about an aerial tramway like Ober Gatlinburg from Maggie Valley up to the ski resort making it a year-round destination (or to be totally crazy have a tram run from Harrah's in Cherokee up to Waterrock Knob -- Blue Ridge Parkway may not be too keen on that). Obviously fun to speculate, but such an endeavor would require mega money.
bamapilot
Expert

Maggie Valley can't even keep Ghost Town open during the summer months. Would like to see a new ski area though, something closer the Chatty.