The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hawksnest Ski Resort - Seven Devils, Boone, North Carolina

Discuss Lost or Closed NC Ski Areas here
Joshua8200
Intermediate

It pains me every time I see the Hawksnest at the top of the "Lost Ski Areas" board.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

@Joshua8200 293379 wrote:It pains me every time I see the Hawksnest at the top of the "Lost Ski Areas" board.

I was up there the other week putting in a new webcam. Always a nostalgic feeling being up there. I saw the painting in the bar area with the proposed expansion and just laughed.

Also, the lifts are in terrible shape. I think it's been discussed on here before about how they get them inspected every year in case they want to sell the place. Yeah, I don't think that's the case. It'll take A LOT of money to get that place open for skiing.
WOOOOOO!

Paul
Beginner

Had a lot of great memories at the Hawk. Was the go-to place for years for my circle. I still have a sliver of (blind) hope to someday ski there again.
skipanther
Advanced

I miss late night skiing on their icy slopes and going into the bar to drink and listen to country and southern rock bands!Wonder if that bar is still in use or not?
skiing rules
Expert

It's too bad some kind of group ownership of the mtn won't happen like what happened at magic mtn.

I definitely miss that place
Tmiller72
Expert

Maybe they could do something similar to Whitegrass? I know we don't get the natural snow like WV gets, but it would be fun to tour that place without having to hide. I'd pay a few bucks for the chance to skin up when a storm hits.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
bamapilot
Expert

Figured I'd leave this here.

hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Depending on who owns the land, it might be interesting to see if the owners would allow for a natural snow ski day for the SkiNC tribe. I wonder if with the right presentation was made and the right waivers were signed the owners would let a little off season brush clearing be done on a selected slope and "rent" the land on a good natural snow day.

Just a thought
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
jamsandwich
Expert

@hnhbaxter 297640 wrote:Depending on who owns the land, it might be interesting to see if the owners would allow for a natural snow ski day for the SkiNC tribe. I wonder if with the right presentation was made and the right waivers were signed the owners would let a little off season brush clearing be done on a selected slope and "rent" the land on a good natural snow day.

Just a thought

lol
kojack
Beginner

well , the seed was planted now just let it snow!