The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Paging Brad

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

To the weather emergency phone, the long term forecast has gone to the ducks. Please tell me Putin hacked the weather channel & nws servers to spoil Obamas late Jan ski vacation.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Yeah the long term forecast really is terrible. Next 10 days. Not good.

WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

killglobalwarmingnow wrote:I started getting a little worried a few days ago and every new report added another day out of warm temps.

Snowshoe's average high in Jan is 30 F, they may not get below freezing for 10 days in the middle of January - crazy. And so $&!*# irritating.
Yeah, as exciting as this cold and snow has been I started looking at this last week. Hopefully everyone has enough snow stockpiled and can spread it out over the next week or two. MLK weekend will be fine, but if the mild temps continue into next week ( as it looks like they will) the following weekend will begin to look a little sketchier for some resorts.

Here's the Euro ensemble temp forecast for Boone. The average high is in the low 40's.

Anyone want to go to Tahoe or Utah?
WOOOOOO!

skipink
Expert

Utah for me in 11 days!
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Perfect timing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
theKENDOG
Expert

skipink wrote:Utah for me in 11 days!
So #jelly.
WOOOOOO!

skipanther
Advanced

Did I tell anybody I really hate Winter thaws,especially when it's in the middle of January and lasts over 2 weeks!
theKENDOG
Expert

His latest video forecast is up.

http://www.skisoutheast.com/brad-panovi ... uary-thaw/

It's just as bad as I was thinking. Two weeks of warmth ahead. I'm worried what the snow will look like in 7-10 days.
WOOOOOO!

skipanther
Advanced

killglobalwarmingnow wrote:
skipanther wrote:Did I tell anybody I really hate Winter thaws,especially when it's in the middle of January and lasts over 2 weeks!
I'm in disbelief. Guess I'm going to get some runs in before it gets really ugly.

We should be in for a bomber season next year , since 3 in a row would be crazy.
Yep 2 weeks of Spring weather in the middle of January in the south has the potential to disrupt the season and qualify this year as another bad season!Of course that wouldn't be the case if this thaw was shortened and followed by a polar vortex that lasted until the end of March or even April!
Woodsrider427
Beginner

This almost has me wishing my daughter hadn't gotten me back into skiing last year, this weather is depressing for being newly addicted to skiing. It was 5 degrees in Snowshoe Saturday and today I worked in shorts and a T-shirt.
This leads me to a question for all the veteran southeast skiers, has there ever been a season where the resorts never reached 100% open? I hate to think of that but I was just curious.