The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Best weather site for snowshoe

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
NMSki
Beginner

Does anyone know the best weather website for snowshoe (akin to Ray's weather here in WNC?). A local website that has more accurate info possibly that the mega-sites...
Thanks in advance....
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

NMSki wrote:Does anyone know the best weather website for snowshoe (akin to Ray's weather here in WNC?). A local website that has more accurate info possibly that the mega-sites...
Thanks in advance....
I don't think there is one unfortunately. However, the Charleston, WV National Weather Service usually does a really good job forecasting for Snowshoe.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 9.9957&e=0
WOOOOOO!

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

This is a weather station at snowshoe and includes forecasting. Relatively new to me so I can't speak to its forecast accuracy vs NWS and others. Did pretty well during Jonas. I like the charting of %precip vs time.

http://www.weatehrunderground.com/cgi-b ... OWS10&MR=1
theKENDOG
Expert

spydeeTJB wrote:This is a weather station at snowshoe and includes forecasting. Relatively new to me so I can't speak to its forecast accuracy vs NWS and others. Did pretty well during Jonas. I like the charting of %precip vs time.

http://www.weatehrunderground.com/cgi-b ... OWS10&MR=1
The weather station data is valid but don't use their forecast. Weather Underground is owned by Weather.com and neither source does a good job with specific mountain locations. For instance, that Wunderground page has a high of 23 on Sunday. NWS has 12. That's a big difference.
WOOOOOO!

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

^^Thanks Dog!
Note that the current temp report by NWS is actually for Hot Springs, VA...some distance away and 1'000 ft lower elev from Snowshoe.
theKENDOG
Expert

spydeeTJB wrote:^^Thanks Dog!
Note that the current temp report by NWS is actually for Hot Springs, VA...some distance away and 1'000 ft lower elev from Snowshoe.
Yeah, if you really want the best of both sites, use High Country Weather.

http://www.highcountryweather.com/weather-snowshoe.php

We use the weather station from the top of Snowshoe and pull the forecast data from NWS.
WOOOOOO!

yardsale
Expert

we ate her underground .com? not clicking that one at work!
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

SNowshoe was on the weather channel this morning.. so I suspect all forecasts are rigged now
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
SnowshoeGuy
Beginner

spydeeTJB wrote:^^Thanks Dog!
Now if someone would put a snow stake and thermometer on their deck at Snowshoe, we could rig up a webcam and have some fun with it like they do out west.

HINT HINT spydee ......
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

I've been in tough negotiations with the HOA president but I can't get approval til spring. She's a tough cookie.