The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

A promising forecast

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Monday morning update...good news and bad news. Good news - still on target for a cold shot of air this weekend. This week is warm but we will see snowmaking MAYBE beginning as early as Thursday night for some. Friday and Saturday look like around the clock snowmaking as well. A dusting to an inch or two of snow at best (moreso up in WV) is possible Friday into Saturday. Nothing special.

The bad news - this cold is going to be short lived. I mentioned this last week, and the models keep showing it. Another warm up is in store for the days leading up to Christmas and possibly thereafter. A pesky Bermuda high is going to set up and put us under the blowtorch.

GFS 5-Day Ensemble Mean 500mb Height Anomaly for the days leading up to Christmas.

Christmas Day Temperature Anomalies. Woof.

Neither the Euro nor the GFS shows anything good (other than this weekend) through the 29th or 30th. Hopefully the ski areas can lay down some serious snow this weekend or it's going to be a rough New Year's.
WOOOOOO!

jt3
Intermediate

Unreal. We are cold weather constipated. So sad.... This has got to be hitting some folks really hard in the pocket by now... Sure glad I didn't book any east coast Xmas accomodations.
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

theKENDOG wrote:As much as I want to get my hopes up about cold next weekend, it doesn't look to last long. Warmth returns for the days leading up to Christmas.

Next weekend.

500mb height anomaly average for the 5 days leading up to leading up to Christmas day.

Euro Ensemble Mean and GFS Ensembles show similar solutions.

Ugh. More golf I suppose. That or else buy a plane ticket to Tahoe.

OK Kenny.....

You Da Weather Man!

Will Sugar open Friday?

Or Will it be App, Beech, and Sugar all open again on Saturday?
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
nooboarderjames
Intermediate

What a nice mid season thaw we are having this Dec. I guess I hibernated right through winter. :(
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

OldSchool wrote:

OK Kenny.....

You Da Weather Man!

Will Sugar open Friday?

Or Will it be App, Beech, and Sugar all open again on Saturday?
Can't see anyone opening on Friday. Temps Thursday night look too marginal to really lay down enough snow, especially considering they'll all be starting from scratch again. Saturday looks like a good bet for at least Sugar. It really wouldn't surprise me to see App and Beech hold off until Sunday in order to get some more snow on the mountain. App rarely makes snow when guests are on the hill and if they could have all day Saturday to leave the guns on full blast it would really help them out for the holiday week, as they can put down a foot or two across the entire mountain easily with t heir snowmaking capability. This is just my opinion though and pure speculation. I'm sure they'll both announce something in the next day or two.
WOOOOOO!

GrizzlyEnton
Advanced

Some hope out there, remember people it's the southeast get after it while you can.

Until then I will watch Webcams like this