The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

theKENDOG's most accurate weather joint

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
skiatlanta
Advanced

I just need cat to.open on thursday. Please please happen. Wouldn't be upset if I got a place to stay thursday night in Clemson after tech beats them.
MrClemsonKeri
Expert

The 26th is the winning date aka ME
MrClemsonKeri
Expert

Logan are you gonna come by the tailgate and have a drink?
skiatlanta
Advanced

@Mr.ClemsonKeri 293055 wrote:Logan are you gonna come by the tailgate and have a drink?

yeah sure man. Where are yall gonna be tailgating?
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Here's where we're at this morning guys. Basically, the Euro model (the king of models) is our friend right now. All models show a front moving through Tuesday and then some snow in the mountains Tuesday night. However, after that is when they begin to diverge. Here are the two scenarios developing.

The Euro has a pocket of cold air getting pinched off from the upper trough and meandering over the region for a few days. It also has a coastal low forming and moving up the eastern seaboard. This would be good. We could see around the clock snowmaking Wednesday through Friday and higher snow totals. This model is an outlier right now though.

Most other models show the trough progressing through quickly and exiting Wednesday night. They don't show a low forming on the coast either. This solution would mainly confine snow to the frontal passage on Tuesday night. Temps would be warmer for Thursday and Friday, but overnight lows would still support snowmaking.

Here are the Euro (left) and GFS (right) meteograms for Boone between now and next Friday/Saturday. As you can see, the Euro shows sub freezing temps for an extended period of time. The GFS is warmer but still has sub freezing lows at night. It also has way less precip.

This isn't a forecast. Things will change over the weekend I'm sure. The last 3 runs of the Euro has seen the axis of snow go from the east coast to the spine of the Appalachians and then back again to the east coast. The weekend runs will give us a better idea of what's to come.

I will say that even if the GFS pans out, I am still optimistic about a Sugar opening. A little bit of snow combined with several nights of snowmaking and I could definitely see them pull the trigger.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

@skiatlanta 293072 wrote:yeah sure man. Where are yall gonna be tailgating?

theKENDOG
Expert

Update: The 12Z models sucked. None are showing a lot of snow, and the cold doesn't look quite as intense. Ugh. Still snowmaking temps though for a couple days. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue over the next several days.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

I reiterate nov 26 is the date. Y'all watch.
theKENDOG
Expert

Update: Snow looks to be confined to the frontal passage and it looks like a few inches are possible for the NC mountains Tuesday night. Wednesday and Thursday look cold with temperatures beginning to moderate Friday. My guess right now...Sugar and/or Cat open on Thursday. Whoever has the 13th for the first snowfall is looking good right now. Still several days out so this could change.
WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

Update: The models are all drier now and showing less accumulation than in previous days. Right now, an inch or two max is what they're showing for the mountains. Still cold for Wednesday and Thursday then a moderation in temps. I still think Sugar is going to pull the trigger.
WOOOOOO!