The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

theKENDOG's most accurate weather joint

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

winter wrote:
theKENDOG wrote:
winter wrote:
Today was fun, the chopped up stuff skiers left on Northridge was great too.
I rode at Sugar yesterday. No way today was better than yesterday no matter what the optimists say. Maybe some loose snow the real pow was up in VA and WV though. So bummed I didn't go up that way. Really want to see some vid from up there!
I was out at Sugar all day yesterday and today - today was definitely better. Just got back from the night session which was great too. Looking forward to tomorrow!
Well dang that's awesome! Figured with grooming and what not there wouldn't have been too many stashes. Bummed I missed out.

On another note, that new lift at Sugar is fantastic!
WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

Looking good this morning. Bluebird everywhere. Image

WOOOOOO!

winter
Beginner

Today is easily the best day of the season at Sugar. Unfortunately I gashed my shin so it's going to be an early day for me... The video you posted of Canaan is insane, can't wait to see Davidski's TR from Snowshoe!
theKENDOG
Expert

Gonna be warm for the next 10 days or so. Looks like we could finally see come cooler weather after we get past the first week of November. Looks like November 9th, 10th, and 11th are still open on the first snow contest...

WOOOOOO!

Aasnider
Beginner

While it's not going to allow me any WROD's for our trip up this weekend hopefully this will help line us up for some open terrain come thanksgiving!
theKENDOG
Expert

Welp, it appears we're not going to have an early start to the season. Thanksgiving is always the target opening day for the resorts and while some years we get lucky and have open slopes in early November (and sometimes October), that isn't the case this year. The upcoming week doesn't look warm but it also doesn't look quite cold enough for snowmaking. We'll see the return of colder air by the weekend though and it will be the beginning of what looks to be our first good snowmaking window. Here is the Euro Ensemble 5 day average 500mb height anomaly for the days leading up to Thanksgiving. All you need to know is that blue is good.

The GFS Ensembles support this scenario as well. The days leading up to Turkey Day look good and we'll hopefully see widespread snowmaking. Natty snow is also looking like a possibility. At this point though, I just want some cold.

We'll see how this pans out as we're talking about stuff that's 7-10 days out, but it looks promising. I'm ready for the season to start!
WOOOOOO!

beeesmitty
Beginner
Tagline: I heard you know Bofa

Snow tonight?
theKENDOG
Expert

Hopefully everyone is enjoying summer. It ain't going anywhere for the time being.

WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

The ensembles are hinting at a cooler pattern possibly by the second week of October. And by cooler I mean back to normal for this time of year. Until then though, summer continues.
WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

A few more days of summer. Fall finally arrives on Saturday and it looks like we'll be done with the heat.
WOOOOOO!