The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

theKENDOG's most accurate weather joint

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Alright so here's an update on the weather forecast. Sucks now through Saturday. Enough said. Sunday is really cold, round the clock snowmaking. Monday is a little warmer, but probably around the clock snowmaking again.

Tuesday and Wednesday is when things get interesting. Cold air is going to try and meet up with an area of low pressure that will track from the Gulf Coast northeast through the Carolinas. Right now, it doesn't look like the two will meet up like we'd want them to. Tuesday looks like a cold rain. How much rain? Depends on the model you look at.

The latest Euro has a lot of rain as the area of low pressure tracks right through the central and upstate of SC. Not good.

It puts out almost 3 inches of rain for Boone before a changeover to light snow later on Wednesday. Eek.

The GFS has the area of low pressure moving slower and further south. Still wet, but much better solution.

Both are generally showing some snow on the backside Wednesday night and then some ridiculously cold temps Thursday and into Friday.

The timing and track of this low is going to be crucial for determining if we get a bunch of rain, a bunch of snow, or something in between. Right now it looks like more of a rain event. Either way, with snowmaking windows during the week next weekend should be really good even if Tuesday is a washout.
WOOOOOO!

skipanther
Advanced

3 inches of rain could do some major damage,if it does rain that much,the resorts will be starting from scratch again when it gets cold!
theKENDOG
Expert

@skipanther 293684 wrote:3 inches of rain could do some major damage,if it does rain that much,the resorts will be starting from scratch again when it gets cold!

I doubt it'll be three inches. The ensembles were putting out around 2 inches though.

This is still 5-6 days out. Things are going to change. I just like to keep you guys updated.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

It will puke snow and I will win! Trust me.
theKENDOG
Expert

Update (Sunday 10:45am)

Arctic air has moved into the region and it is freakin cold. Today and tomorrow will offer prime snowmaking opportunities. Have you guys seen Snowshoe?

Anyways, Tuesday and Wednesday are going to be a mess. The forecast is starting to look more and more like an inland track for the area of low pressure coming up from the Gulf. It's going to move up through the central Carolinas, making for a sloppy Tuesday. We're looking at a couple of inches of a cold rain on Tuesday. Ugh.

It doesn't look like we'll see a changeover to snow until Wednesday. I'm hoping the upper trough speeds up and gets here sooner so it can meet up with all of the moisture. Either way, it does look like we'll see some snow on the backside of the system. Here's the Euro snowfall map. It's generally showing 3-4 inches across the High Country. Snowshoe, Canaan, and Timberline would be the big winners. Opening weekend at Snowshoe looks pretty damn good.

Once this system gets out of here, cold and sun returns. Thursday looks like another day of around the clock snowmaking. Friday and Saturday will see relatively warmer temps, still cold, but snowmaking at night. I'm stoked as **** to ride at Beech on Friday and Saturday.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

It's cold out
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

thanks for the weather updates Kenny! keep up the good work!
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
theKENDOG
Expert

Update (Monday 6:45pm)

Still on track for a slopfest tonight and tomorrow. The leading edge of the precip is in eastern Tennessee right now. Tonight and into tomorrow morning will be a freezing rain/sleet mixture across the NC mountains. Tomorrow looks ugly man. We're looking at 2-3 to maybe even 4 inches of rain during the day. Ugh.

Colder air arrives Tuesday night. It sucks how close we are to having a mega dump. 12-18 hours earlier and we'd be looking at feet of snow instead of a washout. Anyways, snow showers arrive overnight and are going to continue through the day on Wednesday. For the NC mountains, the general consensus right now is 1-4" with higher amounts near the NC/TN border. It wouldn't surprise me to see Beech reporting 5 or 6 inches with this storm. So Sugar will get a foot.

Snowshoe might see a nice snow event out of this. The cold meets up with more moisture, so they will get more snow than NC. The NAM is putting out some impressive totals. It's looking like 8-10 inches is a real possibility for them. The same goes for Canaan/Timberline and Wisp. Opening weekend looks bomber up there.

In general, Thanksgiving weekend looks really, really good.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

I'll tell you this. It's cold and wet and nasty outside.
NCSkiFanatic15
Advanced

awesome forecast, bring the snow!