The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

theKENDOG's most accurate weather joint

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
mmmtaters
Advanced

:D 2013-14 here we come!
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

The latter half of October looks COLD. The High Country might have it's first freeze next week.

5 Day Average Temp Anomaly for 21st through 25th
[IMG][/IMG]

5 Day Average Temp Anomaly for 26th through 30th
WOOOOOO!

codyblank
Expert
Tagline: A place where the beer flows like wine.

Nice maps Kenny.
Think snowmaking temps.
MrClemsonKeri
Expert

Some one busted out his crayola water colors.
theKENDOG
Expert

So next week is looking more and more interesting. The Euro went batshit crazy on Tuesday showing a storm on the east coast. Nobody believed it. It then chilled out for a bit. Now, the GFS and the ECMWF are showing similar scenarios in terms of a winter storm for the east...a cold airmass moving in while a low forms off the NC coast. This is the perfect recipe. It's still a week-ish away though, and this could easily not happen. Cross your fingers though and READ THE BOTTOM PARAGRAPH OF THIS POST.

Here's the Euro meteogram for Boone. It goes out to next Saturday, and shows cold temps sticking around for next Wednesday through at least the end of the time period.

Now here's the snowfall totals from the models right now for Wednesday through Friday of next week. Euro on the left, GFS on the right.

This is still 6-7 days out. This is not a forecast, it's just a look at what's going on right now with the models. They've have been sucking lately for the medium to long range and have been flip flopping around, so this could change even today. Both are showing similar things though, which is the interesting part. If this does pan out, or even close to it, I think we could definitely see Sugar and Cat open by next weekend. The confidence in this happening is still on the low side though. I'm still pessimistic. I'll try and keep this updated.
WOOOOOO!

mmmtaters
Advanced

snow + stoke = SNOWWWWKE
yardsale
Expert

kendog with the lies

its 2 weeks out brah, 11/22
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
theKENDOG
Expert

The 12Z Euro was so absurd, I'm not even going to post it. The snowfall totals it was spitting out were just absurd and highly unlikely. The GFS and the Euro differ on the timing and evolution of the event, but both are showing cold air no matter what. At this point, the potential for some snow in the mountains looks good, nobody knows how much though. As Panovich just tweeted...

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYfv1t6CUAAYza9.png:large[/IMG]
WOOOOOO!

yardsale
Expert

^ i cant tell but is rock hill included in the blue area? i've got **** to build down there
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Ski Bunny
Advanced

Now the Weather Channel is talking about this. Hope it happens!