The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Forecast for Lake Tahoe, 135 mph winds

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
johnmelton
Beginner

"Rain and snow. Snow level 7500 to 8000 feet. Snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches above 7000 feet. Highs 40 to 45. Southwest winds 20 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Ridge gusts up to 135 mph decreasing to 120 mph in the afternoon."

I can't imagine getting caught in a 100+ mph gust on skis, if the wind was blowing uphill you could probably ski up really steep terrain if it was groomed.
Jaybez
Beginner

@johnmelton 282320 wrote:"Rain and snow. Snow level 7500 to 8000 feet. Snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches above 7000 feet. Highs 40 to 45. Southwest winds 20 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Ridge gusts up to 135 mph decreasing to 120 mph in the afternoon."

I can't imagine getting caught in a 100+ mph gust on skis, if the wind was blowing uphill you could probably ski up really steep terrain if it was groomed.

The summits at some of those places in Tahoe; it is like taking a lift into some kind of alternate reality. The trees are twisted beyond any normal shaped tree. It is like a Dr. Suess-esk.

Heavenly shut down the peak the last time I was there. It was getting gust of 90-95. Crazy stuff.
THA HATTER
Beginner

Heavenly shuts down quite often due to winds. If you're in south lake I'd recommend Sierra, Little more protected and gets better snow IMO.
brookbarrel
Intermediate

All of the mentioned areas are great .. This ones my favorite on the southshore though.

100% open by mid dec already..!!