The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Severe Weather This Weekend in the Plains

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

This weekend is shaping up to be pretty ridiculous for the Plains. The SPC issued a high risk categorical outlook 2 days in advance of this expected outbreak. That rarely happens. Tomorrow is anticipated to be pretty bad and there's already been some nasty storms in Oklahoma today. Figured I would post some nerdy weather pics over the weekend.

That is a tornado radar signature if I've ever seen one.

A beastly hail core.

I'll post more tomorrow as stuff is happening. It's going to be an exciting day for weather nerds.
WOOOOOO!

mommehK
Expert

Okay the 3D thingy is just freaking cool! I did read where a tornado hit Norman, OK already...hate to know what else is incoming.

Bring on the nerdyness! Fascinating stuff.
Bronco
Expert

@theKENDOG 274473 wrote:This weekend is shaping up to be pretty ridiculous for the Plains. The SPC issued a high risk categorical outlook 2 days in advance of this expected outbreak. That rarely happens. Tomorrow is anticipated to be pretty bad and there's already been some nasty storms in Oklahoma today. Figured I would post some nerdy weather pics over the weekend.

That is a tornado radar signature if I've ever seen one.

A beastly hail core.

I'll post more tomorrow as stuff is happening. It's going to be an exciting day for weather nerds.

You're such a Nerd! Then again, so am I.:D Tonight is where it's gonna start to get exciting.
theKENDOG
Expert

@Bronco 274499 wrote:You're such a Nerd! Then again, so am I.:D Tonight is where it's gonna start to get exciting.

Yeah, things are already starting to get going. Currently there are 7 tornado warnings out right now and it's only going to get worse through the evening. I'm glued to my computer tonight...

WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

^^^^ That's a 3D look at a cell that is producing the tornado below.

WOOOOOO!

mommehK
Expert

Flipping channels tonight and stopped on Weather Ch for a few minutes, they were talking about tornadoes hitting OK again today, and the list of warnings/watches seemed insane. They were also showing some computer modules and I was like "show the 3D thingy like Kenny did!"!! They didn't. They suck.

<--Bonafide, self-professed nerdette. Keep sharing!!
theKENDOG
Expert

@mommehK 274509 wrote:Flipping channels tonight and stopped on Weather Ch for a few minutes, they were talking about tornadoes hitting OK again today, and the list of warnings/watches seemed insane. They were also showing some computer modules and I was like "show the 3D thingy like Kenny did!"!! They didn't. They suck.

<--Bonafide, self-professed nerdette. Keep sharing!!

Haha trust me they use the same program I'm using. GR2Analyst is simply amazing. Gibson Ridge products are by far the best weather programs you can get and are completely worth the money.

This tornado is a BEAST.

The low level jet is starting to kick in, which is only going to ramp up activity in the next few hours.
WOOOOOO!

mommehK
Expert

That's why I got a little excited about it -- it looked like the same command/action dialog box in the upper right of their screen as what you have. Definitely very cool.

So...I'm finding contradicting information: is a kilofoot equivalent to about 3 football fields or 1000 feet???