The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Openings?

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
DJHardCut
Beginner

Is there a complete list somewhere of resort openings for this next month or two. If there is , i've missed it. Wondering about Wolf Ridge and the other Asheville nearby resorts. Hoping to get to something up there first weekend in Nov.
SuperWill
Beginner

You missed it because there's not a list....its impossible to predict when any resort will open....weather dictates that. Its not likely there will be any good skiing in the first weekend of Nov. I've skied Cataloochee on Oct. 28th one year and Sugar on Nov. 7th and had a blast....but that is rare. You'll just have to wait and see what happens like the rest of us.
jamsandwich
Expert

all the old school locals ive talked too are grumbling about a cold but dry winter. could mean an early start, but i dont think this year is the year
yardsale
Expert

FIRST WEEKEND IN NOVEMBER SEEMS EARLY IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, LETS JUST HOPE FOR SOME COLD TO COME THROUGH
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
scotus
Intermediate

Accoring to some reports in other threads, Sugar may open last week
DJHardCut
Beginner

Looked over a farmers almanac today and it showed a picture of mild/snowy conditions deep into north GA... Atleast that was the guess they gave. Hopefully so...
jt3
Intermediate

@jamsandwich 253379 wrote:all the old school locals ive talked too are grumbling about a cold but dry winter one things for sure, it may be cold, it may be light on snow, but i dont think its gonna be dry on this board too long...!
jamsandwich
Expert

not if i haven anything to do about it. pass the glass
Sugar Tree
Beginner

@DJHardCut 253305 wrote:Wondering about Wolf Ridge and the other Asheville nearby resorts. Hoping to get to something up there first weekend in Nov.

We'll be lucky if Wolf opens by the first weekend of January. Seriously, I think the owners shoot for Christmas week and anything else is gravy. Best bet is Cataloochee, they are way more aggressive to open.

Hearing third hand rumors on the mountain that Wolf is having trouble paying the bills and an Australian investment group has been looking into buying Wolf and the surrounding undeveloped land.