The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hurricane Irene

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Rained all day at my house 20 miles w of 95 on hwy 64 5 inches 3 trees down and shingles off the roof
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
carvebeast
Advanced

@brookbarrel 249214 wrote:This one was way worse than Isabel for Hatteras Island .At least 3 new inlets were formed including here at the surf break formerly known as S turns

that sucks. looks like yet ANOTHER rebuild of highway 12...
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I find it pretty ridiculous that taxpayer's money goes to rebuild areas in the Outer Banks. Straight up, you are an IDIOT if you build a house there. North Carolina is broke right now and yet the government will have to shell out millions of dollars to fix an area that mostly consists of rich people's vacation homes.

On another note, here's a video looking at the damage.

WOOOOOO!

carvebeast
Advanced

@theKENDOG 249245 wrote:I find it pretty ridiculous that taxpayer's money goes to rebuild areas in the Outer Banks. Straight up, you are an IDIOT if you build a house there. North Carolina is broke right now and yet the government will have to shell out millions of dollars to fix an area that mostly consists of rich people's vacation homes.

On another note, here's a video looking at the damage.

yea, that's pretty much what i was getting at with my comment as well. not sure from a $$ standpoint if tourist dollars makes it financially sustainable to continue to rebuild the area over and over, but i guess that may be the state's reasoning. still seems crazy though and i don't see how having to sink millions and millions after every storm could ever be a solid finanical decision.
Bronco
Expert

^^Has the Guberment and their decisions ever made sense? Never have.......Never Will. One other thing is those folks on Hatteras are the biggest campaign contrbutors to the state politicians or the politicians themselves.
GrizzlyEnton
Advanced

should look into fixing the roads in the western part of the state, for me one flood doesn't compare to 20 years of neglect.

People will always live in places that seem dumb, some of the most beautiful places are also the most dangerous.
yardsale
Expert

@theKENDOG 249245 wrote:I find it pretty ridiculous that taxpayer's money goes to rebuild areas in the Outer Banks. Straight up, you are an IDIOT if you build a house there. North Carolina is broke right now and yet the government will have to shell out millions of dollars to fix an area that mostly consists of rich people's vacation homes.

at the same time i wonder how much money the tourism industry in that area brings in to NC each year. i'd be interested to see the money spent on road repairs/maintenance vs the amount of revenue generate from the OBX and similar areas.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
teledave
Expert

@theKENDOG 249245 wrote: the government will have to shell out millions of dollars to fix an area that mostly consists of rich people's vacation homes.

Who do you think donates to those political campaigns? It ain't the people living in the projects.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
carvebeast
Advanced

@yardsale 249273 wrote:at the same time i wonder how much money the tourism industry in that area brings in to NC each year. i'd be interested to see the money spent on road repairs/maintenance vs the amount of revenue generate from the OBX and similar areas.

i think you just quoted me...but you didnt.
mmmtaters
Advanced

A good friend in Buxton just got his power back tonight. He and the fam ventured inland during the storm and his place is in tact. Buxton is the widest area out there but he can't commute to work due to flooding so there's no reason for him to return at the moment.