The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

why is the admin fixated?

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
SKISC
Expert

Links to the coments please.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Easy answer cut. Ray sort of specializes in the field of forcasting in a mountain environment. No he is not infallible but he appears to understand the effects of topography better than most. Weather at the top of Beech is way different than even down in Banner Elk.

That said yea, Admin has a habit of pimping local business etc. over nationalized stuff but that's the point of this site isn't it? I mean it ain't called skiRaleigh.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
Zone Driven
Expert

So whats your point. We have a thread to boost your count in already.
sts9shredder
Beginner

i used to always go by rays forecasts bc for years they were definitely the best. As far as temps go and telling us what the actual ski mtn temps are going to be he seems to be pretty spot on. although for big storms he been kind of off lately especially for these NW flows we have had. Ray has also seemed to be pretty synical in forecast like when he was saying how many times can i write the word "LIGHT" in the xmas forecast. Brad has nailed the storm forecasts this year though so i think he deserves some credit
Cutback
Beginner

And yet another mention today of Ray and his "flawed" forecast.

Very strange.
yardsale
Expert

i feel like an idiot, link please?
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
CO_Transplant
Beginner

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

Click on surrounding areas for more weather predictions and use this Brad fellow then you will have more beta, i.e., what may happen. Just a thought. Or you could go to weather.com b/c it's real accurate? This is an interesting chat, I can't believe I just read it all dam* I need to get to work!
yardsale
Expert

i did notice a brad forecast promoted the other day. i would like someone to point this fixation out to me next time it happens because i can never seem to find it
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
sts9shredder
Beginner

its subtle but its there. I dont really care on the subject bc he's going to write what he wants until it loses him some ads or something but he does always sarcastically refer to ray as Dr. Ray bc he's not a real meteorologist but most of the actual meteorologists dont know whats going on anyway

they were also making fun of how big of range the snow totals for other forecasts were but at the same time they didnt even have a forecast from brad...
adm1n
Intermediate

Hi guys. Just getting a chance to chime in on this.

I have to admit that I have tended to jerk Ray's chain occasionally via the site, because he has exhibited a habit over the years of pumping himself UP by calling out real meteorologist in the region. Numerous times over the years he has spoken specifically about one "off mountain" meteorologist or another in negative tones as if only he could accurately forecast the weather around here.

So when you do that sort of thing, I think it sets yourself up for some take down. Honestly, Ray has THE BEST weather website for covering Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk and Beech. However bear in mind that we not only cover those areas but all of the ski communities in the Southeast so when we get meteorologists from those regions to post and contribute we tend to see how vague some other weather gurus might be.

In closing I have ribbed Ray a bit because he's set himself up for it so often by making comments like once right after the Tiger Woods story broke Ray posted in his morning blog that his name and Rays Weather was the second most searched for term on Google, second only to Tiger Woods that week.

Then a couple of weeks later he posted that his website was the most visited in the state of North Carolina.

I/we emailed him and received no response other than he DID delete those posts within minutes of being sent. While he has THE most trafficked independent weather website in North Carolina, weather sites like WJHL, WCNC and many others far out traffic his. Additionally VisitNC.com, Asheville.com, HighCountryWebCams.com, SkiNC.com and SkiSoutheast.com ALL out traffic Rays, Boone, Avery weather.coms.

In much the same way that Jay Leno and David Lettermen have ribbed each other over the years...I have admittedly poked at Ray's comments.

He's a very good guy. Very nice. Just a little misinformed at times and since he's set himself up for it, I've delivered it. There have been MANY occasions where Ray has re-written his success after failing on forecasts, then giving himself credit for nailing a forecast, etc. I have documented several cases, but unlike our websites his articles, blogs etc are not archived.

You can look back for YEARS on our websites and see what we've forecasted (through our partners) and what has taken place.

So there's NO agenda against anyone. In the same way that BILLBOARDS run on I77 promoting one television station's weather as more reliable than others...we do the same.

There isn't really anything to your suspicions. I can tell you that Ray used to have a LOT of local papers, radio and the like partnered with him, but those have all but moved on...for any number of reasons.

Just bear in mind that we're fans of Ray. I look at his site about four times a week in the winter.

Just saying...