The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Looking for Cross Country Skiing locations <3.5 hrs from Blacksburg, VA

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
Clay.Nichols
Beginner

Hi,

I moved to Blacksburg, VA a few years ago (from Portland Oregon).

I'm looking for XC skiing nearby. Up til now I've been focused on north (colder= more snow, right. Not.) like WhiteGrass. But it seems that I might have better luck south near Boone, NC (Moses Cone Park or Roan Mt.) about 3 hours away.

It needn't be groomed, although I don't telemark so I'm looking for fairly level stuff.

Any other suggestions?

-Clay Nichols
jamsandwich
Expert

Moses Cone will only be good during the best dumpings of the year. Its mainly miles of gravel horse trails, so you need good coverage. There are good places to go, but it wont be level, thats for sure
242runs
Beginner

Clay,

the answer to your question is embedded within your question. Just go there, its free and the terrain will be great for X-country skiing. The Gate is locked and there was a good amount of snow on the road. It's NF Land so you are not trespassing. I was up skiing the other side of the road on Thursday and It was great. I'm sure that with an additional 10 inches or so it would be even better.

MM
BusinessBruce
Beginner

Whitegrass is probably 3.5 hrs from Blacksburg, but we have been known to rip Hokie stickers off the bumpers of cars up here in the Valley.
Clay.Nichols
Beginner

242Runs- which "there" are you referring to?

(WhiteGrass, Moses Cone, Roan Mt. ?)

I have a (more than) full time job and family with small kids, so I'm hoping to benefit from the experience of folks on the board an maximize the skiing I can get in with limited free time.

So, anyone else have any experience with Roan or Moses Cone?

Any suggestions on how to find out what the snow is like?

(MM's response will be a big help).

Thanks!

-Clay

@242runs 229609 wrote:Clay,

the answer to your question is embedded within your question. Just go there, its free and the terrain will be great for X-country skiing. The Gate is locked and there was a good amount of snow on the road. It's NF Land so you are not trespassing. I was up skiing the other side of the road on Thursday and It was great. I'm sure that with an additional 10 inches or so it would be even better.

MM
Murphy
Beginner

Now that it's finally cleared enough to see Mt. Lake, I have to say it looks pretty good. With two more storms on their way, it should be real nice up there by next week.
242runs
Beginner

@Clay.Nichols 229657 wrote:242Runs- which "there" are you referring to?

(WhiteGrass, Moses Cone, Roan Mt. ?)

I have a (more than) full time job and family with small kids, so I'm hoping to benefit from the experience of folks on the board an maximize the skiing I can get in with limited free time.

So, anyone else have any experience with Roan or Moses Cone?

Any suggestions on how to find out what the snow is like?

(MM's response will be a big help).

Thanks!

-Clay

Just go to Roan. The Gate for the road to the top of the mtn is locked and it would make a great Cross country trail. It's paved and there has been over a foot of fresh. On the other side of the road was where I put a TR up last night from. You will have a good time.
headwaters

Check out these two sites for great local High Country XC info. Randy Johnson is a local author/adventurer/snow historian that has worked on the Explore Boone ski info. He updates frequently from skier contributions.

http://highcountrytelemarkandfun.wikispaces.com/

http://www.exploreboonearea.com/Placest ... fault.aspx

Cheers