The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Pattern Change Coming (hopefully)

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
skia4life89
Intermediate

So I have been bored today (no skiing since it sucks) so I spent alot of time in front of the computer researching and reading up on this potential weather pattern change coming after Christmas. It seems pretty promising as a matter of fact. This is a article I found easiest to read :p

"Long Term Outlook" (Updated 12/13)

A slow pattern change is now evident on most teleconnection indices. A SSW (sudden stratospheric warming) event is now slowly ongoing on the Asian side of the Arctic. The statosphere is close relately the AO and position of the PV. Over the last few months, the statosphere has recorded near record cold mean temperatures, but signs of a slow warming trend on now ongoing. This may lend hand to an excellent January for winter lovers if all goes as planned. The SSW will likely relax the positive anomalous arctic oscillation and help to slowly reposition the polar vortex, which appears to be slowly moving towards the Atlantic. This will hopefully begin to open the floodgates to the Arctic by late in December. Current ensemble guidance supports the heart of the cold air centered around Christmas day give or take.

The current seven day mild period we are in for the time being was my outlined mild period in mid December. The pattern is very hostile and serves little to no potential for snowfall over the next 7 days for most locations east of the Ohio Valley except for possibly far northern Maine. Looking below at my December outlook issues back at the end of November, conditions are lining up almost perfectly as far as the development of the month of December. This second mild period currently should give way to a colder period late month. The MJO is showing signs of dwindling significance as ensemble and operational guidance suggests it may be headed into the circle of death with lower wavelength impact after traversing through unfavorable phase 5. ECMWF ensemble support is beginning to show signs of a negative NAO, but it remains east based in the long range. Looking at storm chances, there are a few dates of significance especially towards the 21-22 of the month. Given the continued hostile pattern, it is more likely this system is a significant snowstorm for parts of the Great Lakes or Ohio Valley. None the less there is the potential for overrunning wintry precipitation in the northwest given the similarities to a southwest flow event. Also towards Christmas, there is the potential for a storm system, but less certainty on long range guidance. Temperatures will remain above normal for the next seven days with a lowering trend towards Christmas with possible below normal temperatures. Snow chances remain minimal for the shorter term.

Apparently this is a pretty rare thing and from what I read, we could be in for a major January as far as snow and cold goes. Im keeping my fingers crossed.
jamsandwich
Expert

I'm with you, january is going to be deep.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Ski Bunny
Advanced

I hope you're right!
SkiCop
Expert

Maybe our current weather pattern will replace the customary January thaw.
skia4life89
Intermediate

Another thing we have to realize is that, sooner or later the current pattern HAS to change. Patterns do not last all winter long. I hope it is soon though..we NEED snowmaking and snow. Its not even a matter of "it would be nice to have". The resorts NEED it to actually make some money. So far, this season has been so sad.
peanut butter
Beginner

...so far this season has been practically non-existent
skipanther
Advanced

And to hear a majority of Charlotteans rejoicing this crappy weather adds insult to injury!
Schythe
Beginner

I'm from Charlotte and I say this winter sucks!! I didn't realize how good we had it these past 2 winters.

I will never take a good winter for granted again....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Tmiller72
Expert

At least snow is back in the forecast after all this crappy rain.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
Tmiller72
Expert

Of course this morning the forecast has changed, not as cold or good snow chances that were predicted the other day. The Winter of Crap keeps getting worse. :(
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2