The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Friday 1/21/11

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
nobodyyouknow

I'm driving up this weekend for a couple days at Sugar/Beech. I haven't spent much time in that area and the forecast for Friday is scaring me a bit. Says it's going to be in the teens with 25+ mph winds???

Am I reading that right, and if that is true, is that skiable weather? Should I be rescheduling?

Thanks for the help!
skipink
Expert

There is never bad weather, just inapproprate clothing.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
sts9shredder
Beginner

@nobodyyouknow 236326 wrote:I'm driving up this weekend for a couple days at Sugar/Beech. I haven't spent much time in that area and the forecast for Friday is scaring me a bit. Says it's going to be in the teens with 25+ mph winds???

Am I reading that right, and if that is true, is that skiable weather? Should I be rescheduling?

Thanks for the help!

Ummm that IS skiing weather. I would ask a question more along the lines of when is it not in the teens and the wind blowing on top of a mountain.... I know we are suppossed to be nice to noobs but geez
nobodyyouknow

@sts9shredder 236342 wrote:Ummm that IS skiing weather. I would ask a question more along the lines of when is it not in the teens and the wind blowing on top of a mountain.... I know we are suppossed to be nice to noobs but geez

Well, a few weeks ago when I was there it was sunny and 40 degrees with no noticeable wind.

But in today's Ray's it's calling for "brutally" colder weather, high of 15 and low of 5, with gusts up to 40mph.

I know you can ski whenever it's slippery, but there's got to be good days and "holy crap I can't feel my nipples" mountain hurricane days.

I just don't want to drive up and waste the whole weekend if it's going to be the latter. Plus my dad is 60 so it may not be healthy for him.
Piginapuppy
Beginner

In those conditions, I'd recommend carrying a balaclava and "cap". Your gloves will need to have a good lining at a minimum, but you don't need to spend $100 on gloves to find something that will work. Otherwise, baselayer+insulating layer+shell and you'll be good to go.

I've skiied cold days/nights+high winds in NC and its great, there's rarely other people out when the weather is tough.
marzski
Advanced

@nobodyyouknow 236346 wrote:Well, a few weeks ago when I was there it was sunny and 40 degrees with no noticeable wind.

But in today's Ray's it's calling for "brutally" colder weather, high of 15 and low of 5, with gusts up to 40mph.

I know you can ski whenever it's slippery, but there's got to be good days and "holy crap I can't feel my nipples" mountain hurricane days.

I just don't want to drive up and waste the whole weekend if it's going to be the latter. Plus my dad is 60 so it may not be healthy for him.

Last winter I didn't bother to bring my 9yo to Beech when it was 8 degrees and little wind. While I knew she would ski, I also knew she would be asking to go in after just one run even with the right gear. Bottom line . . . it WILL be cold. With the SkiSE Summit going on, there will be lots of opportunity to meet folks when warming up. The slopes are less likely to be crowded.

Must say that having skied with folks who are 70+, it's a question of how much your dad wants to ski this weekend.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
skipink
Expert

Get some hand and toe warmers. Stick the toe warmers to your socks, not to the boots. Use them before you get cold.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
The Boss
Beginner

Thurs and fri will be adaptive skier clinics at Beech this week and yes,cold Friday but sunny all weekend. Skipink right never bad weather just bad clothing,layer up and go.
skipanther
Advanced

@nobodyyouknow 236326 wrote:I'm driving up this weekend for a couple days at Sugar/Beech. I haven't spent much time in that area and the forecast for Friday is scaring me a bit. Says it's going to be in the teens with 25+ mph winds???

Thanks for the help!Are you from Florida?Just bundle up!
skipanther
Advanced

@skipink 236331 wrote:There is never bad weather, just inapproprate clothing.Yeah,the only bad weather for skiing is a hard rain or so warm that it all melts!