The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Friday 1/21/11

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
jamsandwich
Expert

40mph winds are back! pack your antifreeze!
Joshua8200
Intermediate

@skipink 236331 wrote:There is never bad weather, just inapproprate clothing.

Bad may be an inappropriate adjective for weather. However, weather that that requires clothing so as to prohibit a human's body temperature from from decreasing to the point that it cannot sustain metabolic function...is kind of "bad." Weather that requires specialized mittens and gloves to prevent the circulating blood in the extremities from freezing solid and despite having this proper gear still lose fingers and toes...is "bad weather."

I mean that in jest.

Proper clothing should get you through skiing the worst days the NC mountains experience. What would be appropriate clothing for Friday...it depends somewhat on your cold tolerance.

Appropriate clothing would include: a good winter hat that should have a windstopper lining and earflaps or helmet possibly with liner cap for added warmth, goggles, a face mask/scarf/balaclava, water/wind resistant or proof shell jacket and pants, a mid-heavyweight fleece pant and shirt, midweight ski sock, midweight mitten or heavyweight glove.

If you have a good shell outerlayer that is wind and waterproof, a layer of midweight (Polartec 200 or 300 if you're less cold tolerant) should keep your core warm enough while skiing. All you really need after that is keeping your hands and face warm...if you don't have good gloves, this would be a time to maybe use handwarmers...
nobodyyouknow

I guess "bad weather" IS relative! I am from Florida. I have surfed 10ft swell in 55 degree water with 45 degree air and 25mph winds, so I understand the "hardcore" mindset. Put on a wetsuit and man up!

But when it comes to snowboarding, I'm what we would call a "weekend warrior" so I'm a bit nervous. I was there last year during y'alls big storm, and my friends car got stuck when it was subzero weather with winds howling. I thought I was going to lose a finger trying to get him out of there. This forecast was giving me bad memories of that.

But you guys have been a huge help, I really appreciate it. I do have decent gear- base layer, insulating layer, waterproof shell, full head coverage, good gloves and socks. I didn't think about the boot/glove warmers, thanks for the suggestion, I'll pick some up in case we need them.

I'll be heading up today to ski tomorrow. I really wish I could make it for the summit on Saturday to meet some of y'all, but I have to head back by then.

Thanks again for all the help!