The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

So I'm coming to terms with the fact that its never gonna snow

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
skipanther
Advanced

@Ski Bunny 268929 wrote:Looks like spring returns this weekend....ugghhSpring returns for the 3rd time already!
trainwreck
Beginner

The problem is skier traffic. The resorts are virtually empty during the week. It took them until Mid January to get open to the top (Sugar still hasn't opened 100%).

When it is warm off the Mtn. people put skiing in the back of their minds. They tend to look at outdoor sports suck as bicycling, kayaking and hiking.

Without skier traffic no matter how much snow is on the ground the resorts will close. They cant afford the overhead. Last year Cataloochee laid off over 140 ski instructors Jan 13th. Then they closed in early March.

With this said I only have 1 day on the slopes this season which is killing me.

I sure hope President day weekend is a busy one for all the resorts.
skipanther
Advanced

Yep,I also have only 1 day!December wasn't worth going and then I had to work everyday since Christmas until Sunday and didn't make it that day,football,MLK weekend,etc!So I aked for Wednesday off and went to Sugar!
Ski Bunny
Advanced

And now here comes the rain.....yuck!
trainwreck
Beginner

@killglobalwarmingnow 269141 wrote:140 instructors at Cat? That doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

They hire around 160/year, most are part-time. They are probably 10 fulltime instructors.

Just remember you dont get paid unless you are teaching, there is no punching in/out. If you dont teach you dont have a paycheck. So it doesn't cost them much to carry a bunch of instructors. Also out of those 160, about 25% get hurt, and another 10% or so quit for lack of hours.