The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Good news next week if you like Blizzards

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
EastCoaster
Expert

Did this thing totally fizzle?
skia4life89
Intermediate

^idk man i was wondering the same thing..its like this every time..it gets all hyped then when it gets closer..nothing.
SteepNdeep
Intermediate

@EastCoaster 237013 wrote:Did this thing totally fizzle?

Nope still game on for the Apps/west.. East of the Apps looks like rain and a lot of it. Apps could get a big thumping out of this.

SteepNdeep
Intermediate

@GreshamB 237068 wrote:are those total water numbers? If so....buckle down fellas

Yup! Most of this moisture will fall as rain/sleet/snow in the lower elevations, anyone over 2500ft+ should be in for a big storm.
EastCoaster
Expert

This is pretty fascinating:

"Bad news from the NWS HQ, they've sent an administrative message indicating there are a lot of missing obs from the upper air balloon release today throwing a real wrench in forecasting models. Two of the sites AWOL are Peachtree City, GA and Birmingham, AL. This means if today's model cycles show big changes we won't know if its significant or a result of bad data ingest. Thankfully, there is time for them to fix it before we get to Wednesday. "

Thats from the americanwx.com forums, which btw SteepandDeep, you are on my **** list for introducing me to a weather forum on which I will likely waste an incredible amount of time :D
skia4life89
Intermediate

@EastCoaster 237134 wrote:This is pretty fascinating:

"Bad news from the NWS HQ, they've sent an administrative message indicating there are a lot of missing obs from the upper air balloon release today throwing a real wrench in forecasting models. Two of the sites AWOL are Peachtree City, GA and Birmingham, AL. This means if today's model cycles show big changes we won't know if its significant or a result of bad data ingest. Thankfully, there is time for them to fix it before we get to Wednesday. "

Thats from the americanwx.com forums, which btw SteepandDeep, you are on my **** list for introducing me to a weather forum on which I will likely waste an incredible amount of time :D

so is that a good thing or a bad thing?
EastCoaster
Expert

@skia4life89 237138 wrote:so is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I think it means that the models all have to be taken with a grain of salt right now. It looks like even the professional meteorologists don't know what to do with this thing yet, because of the phasing of the moisture and the temps. It does look like the mountains should get snow, regardless (perhaps starting with rain though...)
skia4life89
Intermediate

@EastCoaster 237140 wrote:I think it means that the models all have to be taken with a grain of salt right now. It looks like even the professional meteorologists don't know what to do with this thing yet, because of the phasing of the moisture and the temps. It does look like the mountains should get snow, regardless (perhaps starting with rain though...)

well i have noticed how the models like gfs have been calling for like nothing, and the weather stations are making a big deal about it..I guess we will just have to wait and see.
EastCoaster
Expert

Yeah, this might be a system where no one figures it out until the day before or until precip starts to show up on radar. No one is rooting for big snow in NC more than me, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
skia4life89
Intermediate

@EastCoaster 237144 wrote:Yeah, this might be a system where no one figures it out until the day before or until precip starts to show up on radar. No one is rooting for big snow in NC more than me, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

true that..usually when they call for big snows i get very superstitious and not like to talk about it.. haha. hopefully it works out.