The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Wolf Ridge

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
almost good
Beginner

Our trip to Wolf today was kind of a bust. I was excited because they had opened all of their trails, most of them were all ungroomed natural snow, they had about 15" of fresh powder. Turns out I don't know how to ski in that stuff. I had a hard time and it wasn't fun. Meanwhile they were making snow on the groomed runs, the ones that have been open all season. I don't know why they think they needed to make snow today. I wouldn't have minded but it was wet sticky snow, no fun to try to ski through. We stayed about 2 hours and left.
But if you enjoy fresh ungroomed powder you better get up there while it lasts.
How do you even make wet snow when it's 20 degrees?
I'll post some pics.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

almost good
Beginner

WolfImageImage

marzski
Advanced

I don't know Wolf but have read a lot about snowmaking in recent years. All southeast ski areas need to build as much base as possible while it's cold. There will be warm weather before the end of the season. The deeper the base, the longer trails will stay open.

Dry powder isn't good for building base. Even out west when there is a dry powder storm during early season those who know are a bit nervous. Without a firm base the likelihood of avalanches later in the season increases. Snowguns can be adjusted for the mix of water and air. I'm always careful at Massanutten going over a snow whale for the first time. Can be sticky or nice or slick, all depending on what was needed.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

almost good wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:12 pm Our trip to Wolf today was kind of a bust. I was excited because they had opened all of their trails, most of them were all ungroomed natural snow, they had about 15" of fresh powder. Turns out I don't know how to ski in that stuff. I had a hard time and it wasn't fun.
15" is a lot! Certainly enough that some adjustments to how you make turns is needed. Skis go a lot slower when it's that deep. Requires far more patience before they actually turn. There is a reason that most people who ski powder over 6 inches prefer to use wider skis.

Next time find places where you can just go straight in untracked for a short distance. Then you can start to get a feel for the differences. Then try making a turn that's relatively slow and see what happens.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
almost good
Beginner

I have heard that you need better snow to build a base and it makes sense. I think that Wolf is trying to build its base as much as they can before they stop making snow for the season, which with Wolf could be soon.
We are going back tomorrow, I think it will be too warm for snow making and maybe there ungroomed runs will be somewhat packed down by skier traffic, if they are still open.