The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

On a Roadtrip starting at Canaan

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
davidski
Expert

When I say starting at Canaan, I only mean in the valley in general, Whitegrass, CVR, and Timberline. I haven't done an old school trip report for a long time, so why not?

The storm patterns have sucked lately for folks who like to ski in the trees, you know who you are. I will drive 6-7 hours IF Canaan Valley Snow is showing 12 inches and if Whitegrass is reporting 16' or more at 4000 ft. Chip and Dave are honest reporters. Everything was set today and I checked in to my motel and put the skins on my skis, jumped back in the car and was at Whitegrass at 530ish. Sking down in the dark was a pleasure, I know that place really well.

being back in Davis is good

davidski
Expert

also pleased with the fact that I skinned the 630 ft vert from lodge to roundtop in just over 30 minutes which is a blistering pace for me
marzski
Advanced

Looking forward to more pics!

I made it to Timberline on Jan. 21. Was with a teen who can ski trees. We had a ball finding untracked in the Glades. Hoping to get back there in late Feb.

Flying to Denver tomorrow. Mostly skiing around Dillong but also spending 3 days skiing Wolf Creek. Will get there soon after the big storm on Wed night. :-)
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Old Fart
Beginner

Nice TR David! Need to get back up Davis way sometime soon myself.
davidski
Expert

well... the reason that the TR got cut short is my trip got cut short, indeed apparently my season is done. Those pics were Feb. 1 and that night I had some noticeable leg and back pain which I had actually noticed slightly the night before I left NC.

Next morning, my birthday, snow depth at Canaan was built even further to 18-20 in. I was hurting but rose to the occasion. Pain was acceptable when on skis, intolerable moving around otherwise. No sleep that night, and I drove six hours the next day straight to ortho urgent care in Durham,

Since then, prednisone, MRI, epidural steroid injection which had little effect. So back surgery is next.

Anyway I got some good turns that day

Inbounds

what I call Darkside trees had barely been touched

the drive home reflected my mental state

Farewell ski season 20-21, I barely knew you
Old Fart
Beginner

Say it ain't so. That's terrible news, David.
Godspeed and best wishes to a full, speedy recovery.
pagamony
Advanced

Dave - what a bittersweet story. Really good you made it home upright. Nice shots of the meadows and downtown. No snow in town when we were there. We’ll ski next year. See you soon bud.
Timski
Beginner

Great pictures. So sorry to hear of your physical ailments. I hope you can find the right solution for full recovery. Last season in Feb. 2021 I did something like 19 days at 15 areas in 13 states, starting at Cataloochie on the Indy pass. Came to the conclusion that everywhere it's pretty much all the same, up down repeat. Need to try skinning etc.
swamphox
Expert

sry to hear abt your back. i got a couple herniated myself. heres to hoping you heal up
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3