The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

President's Day- Beech Mtn

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
WVULINK
Beginner

Decided to make use of my free lift pass (Thanks Charlotte Ski and Snowboard Club!) at Beech Mtn. on President's day since the weather was good and I had the day off from work. Left Salisbury at 6 AM and was at Alpine Ski Center on Beech Mtn by 8:45. I rent frequently from Alpine, but this was the 1st time renting from the Beech Mtn location. Staff was really friendly and helpful but a bit surprised and perhaps unprepared for the crowds on that Monday morning. I got stuck behind a Florida family of 8 newbies and it took me almost 30 minutes to get my rentals. Annoying but glad to see alpine doing good business.

I finally got my gear and went up to Beech. Got my free liftie and was on the slopes at Beech around 945. I was a little surprised at the amount of people already there. Beech only had 3 lifts running and there were already lines. That being said I never waited more than 5 minutes on any lifts. Plus over 50% were gone by noon and the afternoon was great (no lines for the quad). I started on the double lift and did several laps on Lower Shawneehaw, then moved over to the Quad and ran Upper Shawneehaw and Robbins Run a few times. Took a craft beer break around noon at the 5506 Club. That was the first time it had been open when I was skiing at Beech and it was awesome. It was an absolute beautiful bluebird day and the views were amazing. Talked to a lot of people there and promoted skisoutheast.com at every opportunity I had. Hanging out and talking at the 5506 Club was definitely one my favorite things at Beech Mtn.

After a few more laps on Robbins and Upper Shaw, my legs were feeling good and my technique was improving so I took on White Lightning and even impressed myself on being able to handle it. Ran it a few more times, each time with more confidence. Not to make this trip report sappy, but Monday may have been my best day skiing ever. My skiing was stronger than ever and I felt great. I have been skiing off and on since I was a teen, but never have been technically great at it. Lots of snowplowing and losing control on the steeps. It is now obvious to me that my weight had a lot to do with it. I have been obese my entire adult life (260-320 lbs.) and although I've always loved skiing, my weight had made carving and staying in control difficult, made falls very difficult to get up from, and would limit my skiing time to 2-3 hours before getting physically exhausted. Plus the pain in my legs, knees, and hips would last for days.

In the past 2 years I have changed my life and lost 120 lbs. And even though it seems obvious, weight loss makes skiing so much more enjoyable. I was able to ski with so much more control and vastly improve my ability to link turns and carve. For the first time in my life I didn't fall a single time all day. My confidence was through the roof and taking on White Lightning was huge accomplishment for me. Even more impressive, was that I skied 6 hours and still had plenty of energy. My legs, knees, and hips felt great and I had zero pain the next day. I'm not saying that overweight people can't enjoy skiing. I am proof of that. I have been overweight for over 20 years and have always been obsessed with skiing. But my weight loss has definitely mad me realize that skiing is so much easier and more enjoyable for me. I no longer feel like the perpetual "beginner" who is only comfortable on the green runs. I now can't wait to take on more skiing adventures and take my skiing to the next level.
pagamony
Advanced

Wow, those last two paragraphs are really inspiring. Congratulations ! Look forward to your next report.
swamphox
Expert

WVULINK wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:30 pm Decided to make use of my free lift pass (Thanks Charlotte Ski and Snowboard Club!) at Beech Mtn. on President's day since the weather was good and I had the day off from work. Left Salisbury at 6 AM and was at Alpine Ski Center on Beech Mtn by 8:45. I rent frequently from Alpine, but this was the 1st time renting from the Beech Mtn location. Staff was really friendly and helpful but a bit surprised and perhaps unprepared for the crowds on that Monday morning. I got stuck behind a Florida family of 8 newbies and it took me almost 30 minutes to get my rentals. Annoying but glad to see alpine doing good business.

I finally got my gear and went up to Beech. Got my free liftie and was on the slopes at Beech around 945. I was a little surprised at the amount of people already there. Beech only had 3 lifts running and there were already lines. That being said I never waited more than 5 minutes on any lifts. Plus over 50% were gone by noon and the afternoon was great (no lines for the quad). I started on the double lift and did several laps on Lower Shawneehaw, then moved over to the Quad and ran Upper Shawneehaw and Robbins Run a few times. Took a craft beer break around noon at the 5506 Club. That was the first time it had been open when I was skiing at Beech and it was awesome. It was an absolute beautiful bluebird day and the views were amazing. Talked to a lot of people there and promoted skisoutheast.com at every opportunity I had. Hanging out and talking at the 5506 Club was definitely one my favorite things at Beech Mtn.

After a few more laps on Robbins and Upper Shaw, my legs were feeling good and my technique was improving so I took on White Lightning and even impressed myself on being able to handle it. Ran it a few more times, each time with more confidence. Not to make this trip report sappy, but Monday may have been my best day skiing ever. My skiing was stronger than ever and I felt great. I have been skiing off and on since I was a teen, but never have been technically great at it. Lots of snowplowing and losing control on the steeps. It is now obvious to me that my weight had a lot to do with it. I have been obese my entire adult life (260-320 lbs.) and although I've always loved skiing, my weight had made carving and staying in control difficult, made falls very difficult to get up from, and would limit my skiing time to 2-3 hours before getting physically exhausted. Plus the pain in my legs, knees, and hips would last for days.

In the past 2 years I have changed my life and lost 120 lbs. And even though it seems obvious, weight loss makes skiing so much more enjoyable. I was able to ski with so much more control and vastly improve my ability to link turns and carve. For the first time in my life I didn't fall a single time all day. My confidence was through the roof and taking on White Lightning was huge accomplishment for me. Even more impressive, was that I skied 6 hours and still had plenty of energy. My legs, knees, and hips felt great and I had zero pain the next day. I'm not saying that overweight people can't enjoy skiing. I am proof of that. I have been overweight for over 20 years and have always been obsessed with skiing. But my weight loss has definitely mad me realize that skiing is so much easier and more enjoyable for me. I no longer feel like the perpetual "beginner" who is only comfortable on the green runs. I now can't wait to take on more skiing adventures and take my skiing to the next level.
Overweight skier...sounds familiar. :) glad to hear u accomplished a goal.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3