The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Super Bowl Sunday- App Ski Mtn

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
WVULINK
Beginner

Seems like forever since I've done a trip report but here it goes...my 1st trip report for 2020.

First off- Me and my youngest daughter (age 12) love the promotion at App Ski Mtn where you can get $10 lifties (for a 1/2 night session) on the 1st Sunday of each month. We took advantage of that twice last season and decided last night to take advantage of that promotion again this season.

The last time we went on $10 night we practically had the mountain to ourselves. BUT NOT THIS TIME! I knew that App/Sugar/Beech had been slammed on Saturday, but I wasn't sure how busy they would be on Sunday night, especially during the Super Bowl. Apparently a lot of people were like us...wanted cheap lift tickets and didn't care about the game.... because there was a great crowd of skiers/boarders last night. And even though the lift lines backed up some, we never waited more than 3-4 minutes for a lift. i talked to a number of skiers/boarders who were shocked at the crowds on Super Bowl Sunday night. Even the staff seemed a bit surprised, but at no point were they overwhelmed. They could have used some more lift ops to organize and maximize lift usage, but other than that, the staff was excellent, as I have come to expect from App Ski Mtn.

Aside from some strong winds whipping at the top, the conditions were excellent. 100% of trails open, all lifts/conveyors were running, slopes had good coverage, no thin spots, no ice but not too slushy, mid 40s temps.

My daughter is still learning how to ski so I spent most of the night on Appalitzer, Strudel, and Lower Big Appal. Got a few runs by myself on Orchard Run and Upper Big Appal. Although I'm a much better skier in my mind than I am in real life, I was excited that I have gotten to the point where I can ski upper BA with confidence and more control. Yeah I know its not really a Black Diamond anywhere outside of App, but on my previous visits I used to struggle on it and last night I cruised it with ease. Maybe I'm getting better or maybe losing 120 lbs helped me get better?

Anyways, long story short...the crowds were more than I expected, but App delivered with great conditions and staff that made our brief visit very enjoyable.

Oh and I almost forgot.....I met a fellow Ski Southeast fan on the double lift. He said he was from spartanburg and started talking about checking out the webcams the day before and then he mentioned resortcams.com and skisoutheast.com. We talked about reading the daily First Trax reports and the upcoming Summit. Worst part was I failed to ask his name before getting off the lift so I don't know if he is on the message board community.
swamphox
Expert

Was hard core open? When my son was in Kindergarten that was his fav.

Hope your daughter is learning and doing well.

APP is a great place to learn. Very low blue jeans a realtree factor there. Even though its a small mtn they cater to the local competitive families and park rats so the skill level is pretty high relative to somewhere like Ober or Sugar with busloads of church trips coming in.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
WVULINK
Beginner

Swamphox, I love App Ski Mtn and will always promote it. Especially for the French-Swiss Ski School and the entire App staff who has always been fantastic. Add their snowmaking capabilities into the mix and App is a great place to ski/board.

I also agree with the lack of "blue jeans/realtree factor" and I'll add Floridians/Georgians to that list too!

And yes Hard Core was open but I didn't hit it up that night. Next time probably.
swamphox
Expert

Yeah my son and i were usually the only 2 georgians there
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3