The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Crazy Weather Weekend and Props to Snowshoe

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Saturday started with a heavy fog like I've never seen and grew thicker through the morning. Then early afternoon the power on the whole mountain goes down. The lifts were put on auxiliary power (diesel generators) to get peeps back to the top while they closed the slopes. While all that was slowly happening, a lite snow started then quickly went to sleet and then rain which went through the evening with temps peaking in the mid30s after midnight. The power outage lasted a couple hours but few were anxious to go back out and tolerate the rain....the bar$ were just too comfy.

Woke up this morning with temps around 20, stiff wind and everything iced up. While booting up at TOW we get word that all HSQ lifts were on delayed or worse openings due to the weather. I was ready to give up but fortunately it was only an hour and they were spinning. Then it started snowing, then full on nuking. Several inches fell turning the frozen corduroy to light pow for fun laps off the soaring eagle lift. Left around 1pm...temp 7 deg. That's 30 degrees in 12 hours.

Snowshoe gets props for offering a lift ticket voucher good for this season to anyone showing their Saturday lift ticket. Btw the outage was regional, no fault of Snowshoe.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Dean
Beginner

The first time I went to Snowshoe, 1977. '59 Willys Overland Wagon. Took us two days to get there from Brevard NC.

It was 39F and rain when we arrived. Overnight, it went down to single digits and snowed every day were there there. Saw a guy from Alabama, right out of "central casting" throw hot water on his windshield as he didn't have a scraper. It shattered the glass.

Oh the memories. Snowshoe was in receivership then, the state of WV was running it. $100 lift and lodging and food for a week. Those were the days...