The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Massanutten Jan. 10-13

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
marzski
Advanced

Starting skiing at Massanutten on Thursday. Getting better every day. Only DJ open off Lift 6, but more importantly Upper Showtime was open yesterday with the guns off most of the afternoon. Several inches of snow starting at 1pm on Saturday.

The demo tent by Freestyle was set up at the base of Lift 4. That's the long lift over the long green called Southern Comfort. Had a few snowboards this time in addition to a small selection of skis from Nordica, Volkl, Blizzard, Head, and Stöckli. The Stöckli Stormrider is slightly different than what I bought last season after demo'ing at Taos. Great fun!

Slopes cleared out after the snow started. Some people went in for lunch and never came back out.

The conveyor loading for Lift 4 started acting up in the morning. Decision was made to run the lift without the conveyor and gates for the rest of the day.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

The 6 inches of snow that fell Sat afternoon and overnight was mostly pretty fluffy. Upper Showtime was great all morning. DJ was probably fun first thing on the sides, but there was still exposed ice patches by mid-morning. Pretty empty slopes. Too much snow for beginners/intermediates and some people called in to cancel their lodging because of snow between their house and Massanutten.

Best news is that Mass Transit and Yee Ha, the connector from top of Lift 5 over to Lift 6, opened around lunch time. Pacesetter was open all day as a frozen groomer.

I drove home via Charlottesville to get a tweak done on my boots. Five minutes of wet snow south of Charlottesville was sticking to the road. But all dry road after that on US29.

Going to be very good conditions for MLK weekend at Massanutten.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
davidski
Expert

marzski that sounds great, I am sure conditions for Mass and Wintergreen will keep improving in the next two week window
marzski
Advanced

davidski wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 pm marzski that sounds great, I am sure conditions for Mass and Wintergreen will keep improving in the next two week window
I heard Wintergreen managed to get Highlands open last Saturday.

Massanutten snow ops is ready to start blowing on Paradice. Hopefully will have enough cold nights this week to get it open for at least part of MLK Weekend.
brigand
Beginner

marzski wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm I heard Wintergreen managed to get Highlands open last Saturday.
All of Cliffhanger and Lower Turkey open yesterday. I doubt Outer Limits opens, but Upper Turkey looks like they may get it open for the holiday.