The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Threading The Needle @ Wintergreen 12.27

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
SWOOP
Beginner
Tagline: Swooping in on fresh pow

Pretty much all of us that ski and ride in the SE have heard and subscribe to the phrase " GET IT WHILE YOU CAN..." Most of us know that today's Powder can turn into tomorrow's rain, and today's rain can turn into tomorrow's Powder (as just happened on our pre-Christmas trip at Snowshoe)

Well, such was the case yesterday. I had been "planning" a trip back to Wintergreen, my former "home resort" that is in my backyard (75 min drive) watching the snow reports, cams and waiting for The Highlands area to open, the 1000' vert of 4 or 5 nice runs serviced by a high-speed 6 pack that makes it worth the trip. I figured 2 more good nights of snow making and they could do it and they did! So off we go, and I will say overall, WE HAD A GREAT DAY.

THE GOOD - Quality over Quantity

We started skiing (and riding-2 of my sons and his friend) about 09:30 and temps were still below freezing and the SNOW WAS EXCELLENT. I do give credit here where credit is due, we had nice packed gun powder on Upper Sunrise (and some surprise bumps too, nice touch!) and similar conditions on Eagle's Swoop (named after my SSE board name, no not really) and Upper Cliffhanger.

It was definitely a quality over quantity approach and it worked well as WTG had just enough terrain and lifts open to spread the holiday crowd around the mountain and keep everyone interested, sort of...

Four'dable (4 pack pass). Ok, this is where I REALLY have to give WTG some credit. We walked up to the ticket window with our pre-purchased 4 pack and received lift tickets for all 4 of us on the transferrable Four'dable pass and skied for $43 bucks each, on Christmas peak holiday rates, mind you. This, while my son's friend had to pick up a walk-up ticket @ $89 - ouch!

THE NOT SO GOOD

While WTG had a decent crowd yesterday, I was saddened overall as I looked at the mountain and the lack of open terrain, and I would guess over 50% of the condos sat empty. Basically we are talking about 4 solid runs open when you get down to it, ok 5 if you add the beginner area, (I give no credit for connector trails sorry).

The joke for the day was, is it St Patrick's Day today? No why? Well, how come most of the slopes are colored green?

Did WTG do all it could to make snow and open terrain? Not IMO. I'm a pretty harsh critic here, and while I don't have a ton of data, I did notice cam views and posts where there were plenty of missed opportunities earlier in the season, and don't forget, WTG had 20" of natural snow that was all but squandered, save a few trails that had a base to keep some of it.

In talking with condo owners, the cup was half-full, "Well it is early yet, not even New Year's..." Yeah, but in a business where 30-50% of the revenue is made in this two week period, to only have a half-dozen trails open, concerns me for the future of these resorts like WTG, MNUT that do not get the cold temps and snow of WV.

...and then there is the $89 ticket price. I'm really, really, really torn on this one, but here it goes I'm going to tell it like I think it is. I'm all about resorts charging a premium market price and making hay when it is time to harvest, BUT, BUT, BUT, first you have to have a GREAT PRODUCT, not just a partially good product. Would YOU charge full holiday rate for 1/3 open terrain? If you paid that, would you come back?

YING IS OVER NOW BACK TO YANG (for awhile)

Well as you read this we are back to the YANG, warm temps and rain. Don't stew in misery. Put on those new ski pants you got for Christmas and plan your next trip when the rain turns back to snow.
davidski
Expert

I still have not made it this year and intended to be there for the opening of Highlands

Well done and well reported! it is the best lift in the southeast that no one knows about

ugly rain now everywhere
SWOOP
Beginner
Tagline: Swooping in on fresh pow

Hey davidski, let me know anytime you are headed this way, WTG, MNUT, TL, CV, crash at my place and you are half way there! Door is open, cold one in fridge and you can see my not-very-active wood shop!
ski4me
Beginner

I was there on Thurs. Only a couple of slopes were open. I bought my lift ticket ahead of time online for $67... it wouldn't have been worth it to pay $89 to ski 4 slopes. Hopefully they can open more terrain soon!