The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

RED Mountain - 2/2 - 2/9 - too good to be true

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
wilks
Beginner

I was hesitant to post this due to the difficult end to the season we've had here in the southeast, but the article on the home page inspired me. I realized folks use this as a research tool for future trips and so I've decided to share.

Red, in short, was amazing. I had read about the place for years before finally making the trip so my expectations were a bit too high in my own opinion. After the first day I can honestly say every expectation I had previously was met or exceeded. The first night we arrived we stopped into the bar to get tips from the locals. We were told the goods would be up on Grey mountain so we went straight there.

Our crew walking up to the base

We were greeted by this view

We basically lapped Grey all day that day only stopping for a quick break at the weener hut at the base of grey chair for some poutine. At the end of the day we went back to the bar to thank the locals for the tips and I bumped into the Rome snowboards pro team. Bjorn Leines is a hero of mine and here he was along with a full group of heavy hitters. We shared a beer and my stoke level went through the roof. I later told my wife the first day was like a snowboarding dream I would have. Too good to be real.

The next day we got some snow and found all kinds of goods in the trees above paradise lodge on Granite mountain. We also found some secret spots in an area called powder fields.

Overlooking a cliff on powder fields

Absolutely great day. The following day we woke up to about 5" of snow overnight and it was just a sick powder day all around. We explored a bit and found a boot pack with some real nice lines.

Each day seemed to be better than the last on this trip. I'm going to stop with the play by play and break it down this way. Red was amazing for the following reasons:

- Great terrain. Three mountains you can essentially ride down in any direction and a fourth accessible by a cheap snowcat ride.
- No crowds. I waited in a lift line basically never. The only wait each day was for first chair or food at the lodge.
- Good vibe. Locals were friendly and willing to share tips.
- Oh yeah, great snow. There are so few people on the mountain that even three or four days after the storm we got we were able to find untracked areas.

Our group makes the trip to BC every year and we've never decided to go back to the same place consecutive years. Red broke the trend. We'll be back next year with plans to check out Whitewater as well. If you plan to go I recommend checking out Rossland (great beer at Rossland brewing and good eats at a place called the flying steamshovel) and taking in a hockey game in nearby Trail, home of the "Trail Smoke Eaters" club.

Here are a few more photos from the trip:

View of Red mountain from our house

Top of Mt. Kirkup accessible by snow cat

Trail Smoke Eaters game (me on the far right, say hello if you see me at a NC resort)

Beer Belly on the back side of Granite
davidski
Expert

Hey Wilks, I'm glad my article inspired you to post, I think we both did Red justice in our descriptions, it's such a great place that I was afraid my praise would seem over the top ----and you will LOVE Whitewater to if you include it in next years trip.

Something I didn't mention aside from the great lift ticket prices was the exchange rate being what it was how CHEAP everything was, motels, food and drink, everything! and people are so polite, I kind of had to tone myself down and remember my pleases and thank yous. And even from amazing local skiers or employees on their day off, no negative or condescending vibe at all. They weren't always happy to know I'd be writing about it and trying to get people to break the "epic" habit

Reading your post got me excited about the place all over again!! Maybe next year our visits will overlap a little. Did you find the window and some of the stuff around Booty Run? Anyway great post.
wilks
Beginner

Your article was excellent davidski, thanks for the intel for next year. Booty Run was great. I felt like we were constantly discovering new areas that were excellent. I'm going to get some snowshoes and explore the slack country around there next year. I can totally relate to what you're saying about sounding over the top, but its really that good.

When were you out there this year? Based on the article it sounds like we couldn't have been too far apart.
marzski
Advanced

Sounds like both of you had a great time at Red. Thanks for sharing. One of these days, I'm flying to Spokane.

For those who missed David's article, he covered Red, Whitewater, and Schweitzer. Well worth a slow read.

http://www.skisoutheast.com/redefining- ... stination/
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
swamphox
Expert

Looks sick. Whered u fly to? How long was it from the airport?
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
wilks
Beginner

Spokane is the closest airport. Connected through SLC. The drive was about three hours total (including time waiting at the border). Chartered a bus which seemed to make the border crossing a little easier.