The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Sugar 1-8-18

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
Kelly K
Beginner

So after a few decades of passing NC by for SS or CV/TL (when I was driving and out not going out west) I finally made it back to NC. It did not disappoint. Lots has changed. So nice to see the new 6 pack at Sugar as well as added trails since my last visit...sometime in the mid 80's. Yes I am that old.

Conditions were just great on this Monday with temps in the morning around 25. There were maybe 100 cars in the lot today so empty slopes! All you suckers working really missed out. Everything except the double black and one or 2 connector trails everything was open and looking awesome. I lapped the blue run Oma's Meadow several times as I needed to get my form back as this was my first day on the snow this season. Oma's has a nice easy pitch and probably the best snow of any trail today. We even got some snow around 12:45 for a bit before it turn into a mix. I posted a few pics on the SE FB page from today.

And for all the negativity I have in different places about the workers/attitude at Sugar I had nothing but good experiences with all the staff I encountered.
davidski
Expert

With the fast lift and the new terrain Sugar really is a great day of skiing, my heart is still with Beech but damn Sugar has a good product.
Kelly K
Beginner

Next time out I will have to hit Beech. I have not been back there since that same trip in the 80s! And boy did my legs burn/ache for a few days after this. That is my biggest challenge. I need to get on the hill more than once or twice so my legs hold up longer. Nashville to Banner Elk is not a bad drive and its certainly much easier than to SS.