The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Snowshoe, WV 1/29-2/1/2017

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
dwhicks10
Beginner
Tagline: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way … turn."

I'll begin by stating the old adage "Fortune favors the bold. "

In an act of boldness; we booked our three day Snowshoe trip back around October/November time frame, knowing that we'd either be skiing come February, or we'd sitting around the condo wishing for snow. Either way, we were locked in.

Thankfully, and much to our surprise, we ended up with snow...and when I say snow, I mean snow in a big way!

Sunday (1/29) we arrived in Snowshoe to about 20 degrees and light snow. Way better than the 50's Snowshoe experienced just a couple days prior. Sunday was a pretty decent day on the slopes, and throughout the day, the snow picked up. There was a pretty large crowd on Sunday, which is to be expected on the first decent weekend in about a month! We passed on Silver Creek that evening, because we know Monday was setting up to be a good day on the slopes also. Didn't want to get too worm out on day one. Conditions where great, and the steady snowfall helped to keep the slopes in decent shape.

Monday morning we woke up to...wait for it... 11" of natural snow! Let me repeat that... Monday morning we woke up to 11"...yes, you read that correctly...11" of natural snow! POWDER EVERYWHERE!

The slopes were covered, the trees were covered, the cars were covered, everything was covered! Snowshoe was a Winter Wonderland to say the least. We were new to fresh powder, so saying we were excited is an understatement! I doubt there are many skiers and snowboarders who frown upon nearly a foot of powder. The only drawback Monday was the number of guns running due to the 15 degree temps. The guns, combined with the 15 mph winds made for some pretty brutal runs. Cupp Run and Shay's Revenge were like skiing in an ice tornado due to the wind blowing straight up the runs. Can't hold it against Snowshoe though; keeping snow has become quite the challenge this season, so they have to blow it while they can. Despite the wind and the plethora of snow blowers cranking, Monday was an incredible day to be on the slopes.

Tuesday ended up being a stellar day on the snow also; maybe even better than the powder day. The trails were groomed to perfection (other than Widowmaker, not sure what happened there), and it seemed like no matter how many people ran the trails, nothing seemed to get tracked out. Camp 99, Ballhooter, and Gandy Dancer remained pristine all day! We had occasional blue skies that day, but the wind was rough at 20mph, although the wind was only bad at the top, and over at the Western Territory.

We hit Silver Creek Tuesday evening, and the runs there were just as awesome as Snowshoe proper. Well maintained, great coverage, nothing to complain about at all.

All in all, "Snowshoe Trip 2017" was a complete success! We couldn't have asked for more! I only hope the weather take at least one more turn back to winter before this season ends, so others can experience the awesomeness we experienced!

I'm adding a few photos:
20170130_150056.jpg
SAC-20170130-203326.jpg
SAC-20170131-123423.jpg
SAC-20170201-204351.jpg
SAC-20170130-203816.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Hicks
Graphic Designer
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Excellent trip report. And also kudos on not complaining about the snow guns.

I almost took off work on Monday to go to Snowshoe. I didn't and I still regret it.
WOOOOOO!

dwhicks10
Beginner
Tagline: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way … turn."

Thanks.

Yep, with the season we're having, missing an optimal day is painful. We missed Jonas by one weekend last year.
David Hicks
Graphic Designer
safeTmanEd
Beginner

We went with them and all I can say is it was the best conditions I've seen at Snowshoe. I was surprised to see on Monday that they didn't groom anything after the snow fell Sunday night! It made some great conditions that I've only seen out west.

Great trip report....but where is the picture of you on your back with your legs straight up in the air??
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
swamphox
Expert

Looks good. I just wish it werent so far and expensive from ga
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
SKISC
Expert

Nice TR. I have had both good and bad days at the shoe.