The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Cat 12-22-16

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
swamphox
Expert

What it was was skiing. The temperature inversion Gods unleashed their full wrath upon Cataloochee.

We bought half day tickets to negotiate what I thought would be an exceedingly high goober factor due to it being Christmas break. Goober factor: skiers who could injure my son, skilled adults and kids are not goobers, nor are unskilled kids, its unskilled teens and adults that worry me. Indicators of high goober factor include blue jeans, real tree, rental gear with no helmet. Those are actual things I tell my kid to watch out for. This is also why I dont take him to Sugar and havnt taken him to Ober yet.

Luckily people seemed to keep to their appropriate skill levels as far as trails went. Thanks Ice! I knew you were good for something. People were complaining about Upper OMG being really icy so I didnt bother since there was no alternate route down in the event my boy got sketched out. I went down Alley Cat a few times and it was really icy and full of death cookies. By the end of the day it wasnt so bad though. I hope theyre able to make some snow soon. Id imagine thatd help. Mother Nature isnt cooperating.

What it was was skiing. We had a blast. We always do. Its open and thats all we care about.

Also Kudos to Cat for grading out the quad off load. You no longer have to walk up a small hill to get to alley cat or lower snowbird.

pics
It's functional

Dawn Patrol

Rock Island was the best as far as conditions went

Grading Improvements

Lower Snowbird was pretty icy and chewed up early on. We didnt care. It made things interesting.

Lower OMG

Upper OMG. Im a sucker for sun thru trees

Vid
https://youtu.be/BtEGwJ6MArE
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

Your son is going to be a speed demon just like Dad. He is really improving.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1