The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Wintergreen 23 Dec 2008

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
jemofvausa
Beginner

Wintergreen was almost a total bust yesterday. Not the resorts fault. Only Dobie and Eagle Swoop open. The thaw and the rain had taken its toll. They were in recovery mode.

Snow was an ungroomed mix of mashed potatoes over frozen ruts. Totally different that our first trip 2 weeks ago. Then it was a virgin 1st layer that was groomed flat and fast. It was sunny but visibilty was extremely poor due to snow guns. We could not keep our goggle clean. Oh incidently we picked up a new pair of spyder gloves for my son that had a rubber wiper sewn into the back of the thumb. VERY NIIIIICE!!

By 2 o'clock conditions and the concentration of adventurous beginners had combined to form the perfect storm, an accident just waiting to happen so we packed it in. It was strange because my 12 year old son called a stop to the madness and my daughter and I agreed.

All in all a day outside is better than a day at work. The kids and I enjoyed being together and as always Hot Chocolate and Chilli by the fire.

So I think we will wait for better conditions. Hopefully winter is here to stay and they can get things in shape. Next scheduled trip is in the Jan 19th time frame.

See Ya

Joe
billh1970
Beginner

I imagined that it might be like that early this week at WG.

I stopped by Wintergreen late on Saturday which was after some rain and a warming period. On the mountain it was drizzling and the fog was so thick that it was sketchy to drive through the parking lot. The snow sounded hideous as people came down Eagle Swoope (I couldn't see them) so I didn't ski.

Passed through there on Sunday 12/14 the week before and was pleasantly surprised to find they managed to get the Highlands open that day.

These stops at WG were on the ends of a week trip to DC from Roanoke. On Thursday I made a day trip to Whitetail from DC and had a nice time despite the heavy wet snow. Whitetail was a nice resort, but they didn't have that much terrain open. I want to go back sometime when the entire resort is open. Whitetail has some blues with over 900 feet of drop, and served by a high speed lift.

Bill
BaZinGa
Advanced

Thanks for the post! We'll be at the inlaws in VA for the next few days and I was hoping to run up for a night session, but might try somewhere else or save the trip for better conditions. Sounds like the same stuff was open this time last year... I had fun on Eagles Swoop on that trip, but the wife needed a few drinks at the bar to deal with the craziness on Dobie!
jemofvausa
Beginner

I have a pass at WG and like to go up during the week. If anyone would like to meet up there sometime in the future let me know. I have a few weekdays off each week and would like to meet up with other SKi Southeast crew.