The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Sugar 12/16/08 w/ more pics by NCSUsKING

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
vipergirl12
Beginner

heres what it looked like just several days before your trip
skipanther
Advanced

Thanks for the pics,Sugar looks better than it has in years past(thaws).Since this thaw is supposed to last a little over a week,it would be nice if there were no more thaws until late March or even sometime in April.I remember one year about 2 or 3 years ago,the thaw lasted half the winter;don't want to see that again!
marzski
Advanced

Thanks for the pics. Last Sunday Big Red was all covered in white, even the side too thin to ski. There were no rocks to be seen on TomT. Here's hoping for the next cold front to come in quick.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
bfeller
Intermediate

NCSUsKING;159380 wrote:
And to add one more thing from the day: We didn't see the incident, but a guy was injured while boarding. The ski patrol spent awhile with him and we heard the ambulance coming up while we were at the top. Let's keep this guy in our prayers!

It appears he was going pretty fast and caught an edge. I'm pretty sure he didn't have on a helmet. So it's been said before and I'll say it again "strongly consider buying a helmet if you don't already have one!" They come in handy for a few things: when you do something stupid, when IT happens, when you get mowed over by that out of control newb, when someone tries to pull the lift bar on the back of your head, etc... I bought one a few weeks ago and it has worked out nicely so far... kept my head nice and dry too!

I saw the guy that fell go by a time or two. He looked like a pretty new skier. Prior to him falling he was whizzed by us when where on the lift. When I saw him in the lying on the snow I thought: "There by the grace of God go I." Then I realized - "There by the grace of God I was." I hope everything turns out well for him.

These were my first turns on the snow since last years debacle. They felt good and I was very happy to be back onto the snow. I did do a double eject with a helmet bounce on the snow - you know checking the base out for softness. After a long and enjoyable day - I found my bed to be softer than the snow.

I know that taking a lesson when in Utah is going to be tops on my agenda. I need to learn a few more things to make the most out of that trip.

I had a great time skiing with NCSUsKing.
dreamnofpow
Expert

Redneck Rockies moment at it's finest...

SteepNdeep
Intermediate

thats depressing...
IMASKIER
Intermediate

Nice TR...need to swap Coors Lt for Keystun's