The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Watch out Sugar

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
OhDrinkBoy
Expert

Everyone is fair game for sarcasam on the board...but it really is a good group of people (except for that HPR character.....crazy)
SkiingGator
Beginner

@teledave 158970 wrote:It's tough to like the Floridiots when you are trying to get to the mountains and the roadways are clogged with manatee tags. For the next 3 weeks the life we all love here becomes an invasion of Gaytor fans on rental skis. You really aren't that bad in moderate doses but from 12/20 to 1/5 it's a bit overwhelming. Don't take it personally it's the same thing you say about us on Spring Break.

I have thick skin, it's no problem ;) The good news is while I am a hated Gator fan, I try to be humble about it. I wasn't thinking about the Gators recent successes when I signed up or I would have chosen a different user name and avatar. The Gators have had a good run but, I realize the pendulum will swing back the other way eventually. Secondly I never try to come ski during the holidays (any of them) I'm not particularly fond of manatees, and I have in general a disdain for SMC (Save the Manatee Club) supporters (that's who the revenue of the tag sales go to.) Also for the record I have no problem with spring breakers I guide inshore salt water, and bass charters, the spring break season is always when I make my money to go skiing the next season :D Hopefully I will be able to learn a lot here and make a worthwhile contribution occasionally. Also I have ties to NC, I have an aunt, uncle, and cousin who I am very close to that live in Winston Salem.

Forgot to mention another family member played golf for WCU Go Catamounts!
Dontay
Beginner

Im from florida, but I have lived in western north carolina three times. And im one hell of a snowboarder (14 yrs) so I have immunity. ha

Yeah the snowbirds are here in full force.....
Tmiller72
Expert

I can't wait to see that first van from Florida running with chains on dry pavement.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
flyandski365
Beginner

@SkiingGator 158989 wrote:I have thick skin, it's no problem ;) The good news is while I am a hated Gator fan, I try to be humble about it. I wasn't thinking about the Gators recent successes when I signed up or I would have chosen a different user name and avatar. The Gators have had a good run but, I realize the pendulum will swing back the other way eventually. Secondly I never try to come ski during the holidays (any of them) I'm not particularly fond of manatees, and I have in general a disdain for SMC (Save the Manatee Club) supporters (that's who the revenue of the tag sales go to.) Also for the record I have no problem with spring breakers I guide inshore salt water, and bass charters, the spring break season is always when I make my money to go skiing the next season :D Hopefully I will be able to learn a lot here and make a worthwhile contribution occasionally. Also I have ties to NC, I have an aunt, uncle, and cousin who I am very close to that live in Winston Salem.

Forgot to mention another family member played golf for WCU Go Catamounts!

A fishing guide you say? Good to see another central floridian on the board.
ma267
Expert

@OhDrinkBoy 158988 wrote:Everyone is fair game for sarcasam on the board...but it really is a good group of people (except for that HPR character.....crazy)

You forgot TD, e-humor goes with any board. But I mean I have many people that live at the beach and they say minus the influx of girls, summer and spring break can get hectic. Just like MLK and presidents day, I wouldnt go ride if they gave me a ticket, for one I value my life, and would rahter just go up on a weekday and have no lift lines.
skipink
Expert

Welcome from a WCU grad who lives in Winston Salem and has family in Florida.

Having grown up in the mountain of NC, I can say that Floridians usually become Floridiots when you have to drive behind them. It takes twice as long to get where you are going, summer and winter, since they have no idea that they should pull over and let the mile long traffic jam pass while they view the scenery. Individually they are not so bad and are definately a necessary part of the tourism industry. I'm sure Floridians feel the same way about us when we come to Daytona for Bike Week!

Anyway, who am I to judge as I am a terrible skiier but I like to get out and have fun.

Also, I have been skiing on MLK weekend Monday, which is a great day to go as everyone is on their way back home and the rates have gone back to weekday rates so there is very little crowd.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
SkiingGator
Beginner

@flyandski365 159012 wrote:A fishing guide you say? Good to see another central floridian on the board.

It's not my full time gig (yet) but I enjoy it, and it supplements my other salary- well the truth is it pays for my fishing addiction and it is a reason to get out "got to go to work today honey-bye"

Thanks for the welcome skipink, I'll try not to drive slow if I can make it up this year ;)
Josh
Expert

^^what kind of fishing?

nevermind, i didn't read the whole post. Lemme know when i can come down for a red fish trip.
teledave
Expert

k2josh;159364 wrote:
^^what kind of fishing?

nevermind, i didn't read the whole post.

Sorry to disappoint you Josh, but he doesn't fish for trouser trout.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you