The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

App 12/14/08 & the adventures w/ Garmin!

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
BaZinGa
Advanced

The abridged readers digest version:

App was great this morning! Rockstar parking, no lift lines and really good conditions...

Even Hardcore & Thin Slice were good:

The 2 hour Barbara Walters special edition:

Okay, so I've been to App several times over the past few years and even went a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty certain of how to get there. I won a Garmin GPS a few months ago and have had it along for a few trips just to see how well it performed. On the previous trip to App, Garmin wanted me to take Old 421 to the Parkway... I laughed and kept on through Boone. So this time I'm running a little early and figure what the heck might as well see if the Parkway route is a little easier... it's at least got to be more scenic... (pictures would have been good here...)

Well as you would know it, when I got to the Parkway there's a sign saying road closed 5 miles ahead (bridge construction, not the typical weather closure). Remembering that the Parkway has limited exits, I went ahead and made my u'ie and proceeded down Old 421 a little futher. Garmin recalculates and has a new route for me... So still a little adventurous, I make a left and end up on a dirt road! Garmin REALLY wants me to get back to the Parkway!!! So now I'm driving down what appears to be someone's driveway and there's a guy out feeding his cows and I pretty much drive right past his barn... que banjo's... and as the trail starts to narrow, we cross a small creek and start a pretty aggressive up hill climb through the woods on the still narrow, gravel 'driveway'. But I'll be darned... there was the Parkway!

Granted, we still had not gotten to the bridge closure yet! DOT was good enough to have a detour set up though... but Garmin wanted to go the other way... down another bumpy dirt road! So we're out on the adventure, might as well take the road not recommended by DOT... right? We'll I'll be darned again... there's the Parkway! This time we were past the bridge construction and could proceed to 321 and on up to App.

I guess the funniest thing is that when I'm on the 40/85 bypass of G'boro, Garmin thinks I'm out in the middle of nowhere 4wheelin at 70mph; however, when I'm literally 4wheelin out in the middle of nowhere Garmin knows exactly where I should go... so Garmin does get you there, but sometimes it may not be the most conventional way!

Even with all of that we still arrived at App. early and hit some of that beautiful corduroy:

The crowds and lift lines were non-existent all morning. By 1:30pm a few more people showed up, but still not all that bad...

If it hadn't been for the race team practice or the large boarder lesson there might not have been more than a handful of people all morning:

The trip home was less eventful! Garmin tried to take us up some mountain roads, but the Avy & I knew the way to Char-grill... so all was good!
SkiCop
Expert

As SkiCop would say, "edit that last line of your post before I delete the whole thing."
Bronco
Expert

Way to go Drew. Gotta love those little side road adventures.;)
Zone Driven
Expert

Thank God for 4 wheel drive.
matroe11
Beginner

I was also at App Sunday. I had a great time and was able to go up the mountain at will....tested out the new board and once I got used to it, I took some video coming down the hill with my camera. I will post up later tonight since youtube is cut off at work.
lugnutz78
Beginner

sounds like an adventure!
matroe11
Beginner

Let me preface the videos by saying...the Bobcats are a much better team than their current record...Larry will pull it together and watch out for us after the All-Star break.

Not the most amazing sense of speed on the camera's video feature, but trust me...I felt like I was hauling a$$! I busted in one of them but I tried to keep it subtle by continuing to slide down (it's at :20 )

@matroe11 159161 wrote:I was also at App Sunday. I had a great time and was able to go up the mountain at will....tested out the new board and once I got used to it, I took some video coming down the hill with my camera. I will post up later tonight since youtube is cut off at work.

Going down Orchard Run..their best run by far!

Next two are Big Appal...

This was the first video I took and didn't get the horizon right, but i bombed, so I figured it was a good video to keep

This one was another attept down Big Appal....If you want to consider it what they call it, my first "flawless" single black!!! I was trying to get the board towards the end, but not successful...that's why you see the ground so much.

I'm not the best, but feel free to make fun....!