The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Wolf Ridge TR Jan 30 - slope report incorrect

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
SC skier
Beginner

Let me first say that I don’t get that many days on the snow so when I take one of my valuable Annual leave days off from work to go ski, I want it to be worth it besides making the long drive too. Wolf ridge was finally open from both sides at the top – reporting 16 trials open. That turned out NOT to be the case on Wed, Jan 30. Yeah, I know, never trust Wolf’s slope report.

Anyway the slopes that were open were a bit on the icy side because of the overnight rain followed wind and cold temps. You could hear the loud scraping of skis and snowboards all day long. Wolf did try to groom but anything not groomed was glazed ice. That was their reason for not opening the Howling and Tember Wolf. I can certainly understand closing a slope when they are dangerous, but don’t report it as open. I figured that they would open it in the afternoon as the sun was shining and warming things up some and the other slopes were becoming less icy as the day went on but no effort was made to open those other ‘open’ slopes.

Anyway, even with my gripe about the slope report, skiing was still fun, no lift lines and a clear blue sky day with beautiful mountain views.
aclemons
Advanced

Why the heck would the close the howling? Even icy, that run is still okay. Jeez, it is as steep as a green run and has wood walls on both sides.
elementman711
Beginner

yes but even if the howling is ok....where are you supposed to go from there if timber wolf doesn't have safe conditions?
aclemons
Advanced

Good point. I stand corrected.